Sign in to follow this  
Micheal Smith

Looking for a easy to use game engine

Hello everyone,
  Im a Dev on a current facebook game and im using a game engine I bought.   ( Railorz Game Engine version 3.0.3) 

I like the way its set up and easy to add new content but i dont like how all the game features work. Are there any other game engines out there that work in the same way with different features.  
the parts i do like 

The admin panel is easy to move around in and to add missions and monsters 

i like to overall game look after adding in images and such.

the parts i dont like 
the way the monsters work and how the dmg is a set number and not by your strength 

the way the equip your character page is set up. would like to see something completely different in the way this all works

Edited by Holyxxx

I would strongly encourage you to try and write your own engine. Learning Javascript/HTML5 would probably be the best way to go.

JavaScript is really easy to learn, and HTML5 is just a markup language so that's also really easy.

Now that RPG Engine you are using looks overpriced, especially since it isn't a general purpose Engine and can only be used for RPG's for Facebook. So if you ever wanted to branch out you can't.

Developing your own Engine would be free.

I would strongly encourage you to try and write your own engine. Learning Javascript/HTML5 would probably be the best way to go.

Thats a dangerous advice to give, even more so without further explanation. Encouraging beginners to write their own engines is a very bad advice, no matter what language we are talking about. Encouraging someone not to use given engines and develop an actual game from scratch is fine, it might provide the best learning experience for relative low level game mechanism and/or the language features, while also leaving up place for re-factoring and re-using code that worked well. If you have written a few games and feel the urge of writing an "engine", you might eventuell think about potentially packing your re-usable code, restructuring it and calling it an engine. But first of all, you need to know how to write a game.

That said, you might es well wanted to suggest him to simply write a game without some already given engine. There is really nothing against that, and I could encourage the OP to do so - if he wants to learn, that is, and not being productive. But strongly suggestion to write a game engine, without giving even a hint about the possible implications can send someone on a very difficult and frustrating path. There are far too many people anyway who - understandably, to an extent - start developing games feeling the urge to write an own game engine. One should not tell the people who want to be more productive in actual game design to reinvent the square-wheel.

To the OP: Just as I said before, you might not need to use an existing engine - especially if you want some huge customizations, you might actually get pretty restricted, especially granted that from what I've heard the facebook/html available engines aren't all that great. Depending on whether you would like to learn "low-level" game develepoment or just focus on getting games done as fast as possible, thats another factor for choosing over an engine or writing a game (not your own engine, that is). I don't know any such engine you could use, sorry on that, if you really want to go that route, you'd need somebody else to help you. You might want to look out for an engine that actually has eigther its source open or offers all/most game logic in form of plain scripts, so you can e.g. modifiy the damage formular if you need to.

Edited by The King2

At the end of the day, most Facebook games are still Flash based.  There are a number of actionscript based game engines/libraires ( Flixel, Flashpunk, etc... ) but this isn't really an area I know exceedingly well.

Of course, HTML5 is certainly rising in popularity.  There are a wealth of libraries available, it is certainly worth checking out.  The ImpactJs library is probably the most "complete" in terms of being an engine, in that it comes with a level editor and other tools, and there are a series of books published about it.  It however costs 99$.  You can also look at codeless HTML5 tools like construct2.