What's you favorite and most hated part of coding?

Started by
48 comments, last by ysg 11 years ago

My favorite part is deleting large quantities of code because I found a shorter/better way to do what I needed. My least favorite part is waiting for the compiler.

Advertisement

I hate three things: documentation, documentation, and documentation.

I quite like writing documentation, though I tend to repeat myself and be overly consistent (this is a bug I'm working on). It helps me focus, and I'll often uncover logical inconsistencies and other design flaws while writing documentation.

My favourite part is when, after trying helplessly to fix a bit of code for hours or days, something "clicks", I write two lines of code, think to myself "ah, yeah" and voilà! it works flawlessly. Best programming feeling ever. For what it's worth, usually the problem stems from a misunderstanding of the assertions made throughout the code.

My least favourite part is probably polishing an application once all the fun hard problems have been solved to my satisfaction. This is why I tend to stick to POC's rather than full-fledged programs, because I stand a better chance of finishing them before I get bored.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

I can't decide what I like best about coding. Writing the engine from scratch is very exciting, especially when it's cross platform and requires little modification to get it running on multiple OSes and devices. Another thing I really take much interest in and really enjoy is (get ready to cringe), multi-threading! I'm not a multithreading god, but I'm getting much better with thread synchronization, management, priorities, mutexes/events, but still haven't grasped semaphores, and I constantly forget what I learned about APCs.

What I absolutely hate is debugging, especially memory corruption related things. Those tend to be the most annoying of them all. Other than that, a second would be reading other people's code, especially when it's not commented, unorganized and OOP crazy like a C++ n00b. Lastly, what I hate about coding is the fact that C# exists. I'm sorry, but I hate it with a passion.

Shogun.

I love solving really tough problems on my own. I dislike spending a ton of time on a single problem.

I love writing a long piece of code, then running it and finding out it has no bugs. I hate writing long pieces of code that I can't break up into smaller parts.

I love creating a ton of different parts at the same time. I dislike gluing them all together.

My favorite part of coding is finding that solution to a weird and obscure bug that's been around for a long time. After already trying to fix it and failing, when you're taking a shower the next day and suddenly, BOOM! You run to the computer, code it up, golden light shines down from above, a choir sings in the background, and you feel like a programming wizard. Until the next bug.

This is the truth. The sad part is the most common fix to these "can't figure why it's not working" involves the smallest tweak in code. (ie. Forgetting to set the 4th element in a vector to 1 from 0, and wondering why your point light position isn't working in your shader!);

:)

I hate three things: documentation, documentation, and documentation.

I quite like writing documentation, though I tend to repeat myself and be overly consistent (this is a bug I'm working on). It helps me focus, and I'll often uncover logical inconsistencies and other design flaws while writing documentation.

I agree with this in the sense that explaining what I'm doing often gives me a lot of insight about what I am actually doing heh.

It happened to me a few times already, I have this problem that I cant fix, or this thing that I can't understand, so after a while I fire up Gamedev.net, press the new thread button and try to explain what I'm trying to do, how and where it lies my issue. At the end I somehow understand a lot better everything so I fix the thing by myself without ever posting the thread.

Its like what I'm doing is somewhere in my head and it becomes more clear once I try to explain it with words.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

I like writing exciting new features, and having something that encompasses a lot of intricate functionality. The faster, the better, but no matter what, on completion, I get that pride.

I dislike writing documentation, writing tests, and writing boilerplate.

In other words, I like doing things, and I don't like the prologue or epilogue.

I can't decide what I like best about coding. Writing the engine from scratch is very exciting, especially when it's cross platform and requires little modification to get it running on multiple OSes and devices. Another thing I really take much interest in and really enjoy is (get ready to cringe), multi-threading! I'm not a multithreading god, but I'm getting much better with thread synchronization, management, priorities, mutexes/events, but still haven't grasped semaphores, and I constantly forget what I learned about APCs.

What I absolutely hate is debugging, especially memory corruption related things. Those tend to be the most annoying of them all. Other than that, a second would be reading other people's code, especially when it's not commented, unorganized and OOP crazy like a C++ n00b. Lastly, what I hate about coding is the fact that C# exists. I'm sorry, but I hate it with a passion.

Shogun.

you hate debugging memory corruption and C#. Sounds like an oxymoron.

I *love* writing documentation for my code. Part of my development approach is what some calls it "document-driven development". It's part of my thought process. I put my thoughts as comments as I write code, and those comments ultimately become the documentation.

I *hate* looking-up documentation. Since I love writing it, I expect other people to document their code, especially if they expect other people to use it. I'm currently using Ruby, and the gems are notoriously lacking documentation. The "Documentation" page looks more like a README than a documentation. I'm used to MSDN/.Net/Javadoc documentation. Show me a list of all the classes and all the methods and their description and with some examples how to use them. Nothing consumes more of my time if I have pull out Google, type-in my question, and browsing through the web for a solution.

For me it's coding "editors", be it terrain editors or texture editors, or both(usually).Pretty much everything involving brushes.
My most frustrating would be lighting grr.
How about you?

Being told to write code to requirements that are vague at best, non-existent at worst (had to do this with a PHP project at a huge organization that will remain anonymous). <--- sucks!

All of the other parts of coding, meh, I either don't care, like it or love it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement