• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sock5

What's you favorite and most hated part of coding?

49 posts in this topic

I like writing gameplay logic and I hate writing foundational stuff.

Basically the airy imaginative fun stuff I like and the dull, mostly been done 1000x and better than I can be bothered to stuff I hate.

Also I hate UI. Just like, shoot myself in the foot to numb the pain of writing UI level hate.

a lot of trivial tasks require writing more code than in C or C++;

I'm... confused by this statement... what do you mean by a 'trivial task' in this context?

things like signal processing / codec style tasks, which involve a lot of intensive array-walking and fixed-point arithmetic and similar.

say, for example, writing code for a video codec in C#.

stuff like this is slightly more painful in C# than in C or C++, due to minor differences related to handling of types and things like arrays and pointers.

some of it can be wrapped over, but then adds the cost of writing the wrapper code.

though, I would still quickly choose C# over Java for these tasks...

basically, all the little things like:

"int[] blk=new int[64];" vs "int blk[64];";

"for(i=0; i<n; i++)ct[b+i]=Foo(cs[b+i]);" vs "while(cs<cse)*ct++=Foo(*cs++);";

"ct[i]=(byte)((((int)cs[i])*xsc+2048)>>12);" vs "*ct++=((*cs++)*xsc+2048)>>12;"

granted, there are things which C# does pretty good at as well.

for example, GUI and using databases and similar are much nicer in C#.

so, in cases where one is making a tool which uses GUI or similar, and for which OS portability isn't a huge concern, C# does well...

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I find programming to be quite relaxing. It's almost like an escape. I feel this way even when I'm tracking down bugs in my 3D game. Of course this may be because I teach children for a living.

"for(i=0; i<n; i++)ct[b+i]=Foo(cs[b+i]);" vs "while(cs<cse)*ct++=Foo(*cs++);";

Don't forget that C# actually has pointers. For example...

yep, but I meant without needing to use 'unsafe'...

also cool would have been, say, if there were something which could have some of the "look and feel" of pointers, while still being optionally bound-checked and type-safe (note: probably box-pointers or fat-pointers).

I have found a new thing i dont like :D

Using templates for a situation where some people might use polymorphism, because i dont feel like switching stuff at runtime and dont want the overhead.

The result is lots of ugly boilerplate.

Its especially not-fun because i feel templates are weakly typed (for type parameters) so it feels im scripting some overly complex spaghetti mess again...

New unfavorite thing : working with other people who make what they think are 'minor' changes to source files you are actively working on which require you to doing a hellish integration first thing in the morning basically putting you in a bad mood the whole day... *sigh*

"for(i=0;  i<n; i++)ct[b+i]=Foo(cs[b+i]);" vs "while(cs<cse)*ct++=Foo(*cs++);";

var blk = new int[64];

var ct = cs.Skip(b).Take(n).Select(Foo);

var ct = cs.Select(v => (byte)((v*xsc + 2048) >> 12));

easier to read, deferred, wont crash because of array arithmetic.

I don't have to define cse or ct earlier in the code

scalable, I can parallelize easily.

all are 1 line as expected, not crushed together

aggregates errors

these are the things I like about programming.

Edited by RivieraKid

For me it's coding "editors", be it terrain editors or texture editors, or both(usually).Pretty much everything involving brushes.
My most frustrating would be lighting grr.
How about you?

So far (using C# / C++) I have only whined when making UI, raw UI that is, like directly creating UI with DX, everything else no matter how messed up it is, has been a lot of fun, I don't have a favourite but I do like the challenges involved in using DirectX instead of an engine, XAudio2, XAPO, Direct3D etc Honestly it is like I am playing a game by building one :D

Favourite thing?

Running the compiled project and conducting end user testing is a close tie with initial design and general problem solving.

What I hate the most about programming?

Basically everything else. I dislike actually writing code for some reason.

"for(i=0;  i<n; i++)ct[b+i]=Foo(cs[b+i]);" vs "while(cs<cse)*ct++=Foo(*cs++);";

var blk = new int[64];
var ct = cs.Skip(b).Take(n).Select(Foo);
var ct = cs.Select(v => (byte)((v*xsc + 2048) >> 12));

yes, but these wont necessarily do exactly the same thing.

trivial examples were used to illustrate the sorts of basic differences, but the actual code is often not-so-pretty, and not necessarily things that map well to Select or even "foreach()". (mappings are not usually 1:1, we typically work with pieces of much larger input/output arrays, ...).

IOW: how you might use an array in a video codec or similar is not necessarily the same as how it might often be used in general programming.

easier to read, deferred, wont crash because of array arithmetic.
I don't have to define cse or ct earlier in the code
scalable, I can parallelize easily.
all are 1 line as expected, not crushed together
aggregates errors

these are the things I like about programming.

there may be reasons for a person wanting to do things C-style.

nicest is if C-style code works nicely.

well, and also because for some of these sorts of code, there was a lot of copying back and forth between C and C# implementations of the codec, trying to keep them roughly in-sync, so avoiding things that would hinder easily copy/pasting code-fragments was preferable in this case. granted, yes, it probably could have been a little easier if I were using unsafe, but I ended up instead opting with wrapped struct based "box pointers" (in C# it is structs + overloaded operators, in C it was typedefs, ...). (basically: glossing over language differences...).

despite all this, it actually went pretty well...

Edited by cr88192

Anyone who thinks C# is a bad language has never used LINQ to write a data mining app in an afternoon.

Good fucking luck touching that kind of productivity in C++.

Depends on a lot of factors. If I were making a game for Linux, I wouldn't bother with C# too much.

Anyone who thinks C# is a bad language has never used LINQ to write a data mining app in an afternoon.

Depends on a lot of factors. If I were making a game for Linux, I wouldn't bother with C# too much.

Your loss.

http://www.monogame.net/

Edited by tstrimple

Your loss.

No, my gain smile.png .

I didn't know that such a thing existed.

I hate small tweaks in terms of 2d or 3d space for some reason it is so montonous to me to have to tweak the position of an object. for example a friend and me are working on an infinite runner, he has never made a game by himself before and this is his first after graduating from college. so he bakes in text to a background and then asks me to try to create a button over the top of the text embedded in the background. i thnk the mere thought of doing this delayed the project 2 weeks. not because it's difficult it's extremely easy but it is so montonous tweaking, running, checking if it's in a decent position, wash rinse repeat until it's in a decent space . i don't mean in terms of tweaking all small values but anything related to positioning relative to something.

However I really love debugging .even if it means there was an error in my original logic it reminds me of performing surgery on the organism that is my system . pinpointing the issue , correcting it and then running the program to see the code hopefully running in a healthy/ functional state is great! even better if i catch my  bugs before a team member does.

Your loss.

No, my gain smile.png .

I didn't know that such a thing existed.

Their showcase games are quite impressive. Bastion, Draw a Stickman, Skulls of the Shogun, Fez. I just wish they would implement the XNA toolchain so we could convert the assets into the correct formats without VS 2010.

I like to "play" with the stuff I code. Aka "lets try this number instead of that one!" "Lest try more iterations!" And so on.

You'd make an awesome tester smile.png . You'll break stuff left and right smile.png .

One thing I still find odd is seeing people still compare C# to C++ and vice versa, the reason this is so unusual (for me at least) is that both languages work excellent together but often comparison threads / posts are made to encourage the use of one over the other.

Using C# / C++ together reminds me of those hybrid cars that run on electric for short distances but on petrol long, or something like that.

Pros of C#++

Using the best of both languages

Spending more time working and less time comparing or feeling insecure about chosen language

Learning and improving in 2 languages

Able to work with a lot more libraries that don't necessarily have wrappers or updated ones

Cons of C#++

Compile times can suffer at times naturally because of C++

No more invites to C# / C++ dinner parties :(

Love: Implementing that algorithm and it works, the first time. Those are nice rare moments. I guess I just generally like the feeling that I've been productive, too.

Hate: Those times when I'm awake but (very) aware that my mind has just stopped problem solving until I sleep, and can't do anything about it (besides sleep). No amount of caffeine or exercise etc. fixes this.

One thing I still find odd is seeing people still compare C# to C++ and vice versa, the reason this is so unusual (for me at least) is that both languages work excellent together but often comparison threads / posts are made to encourage the use of one over the other.

Using C# / C++ together reminds me of those hybrid cars that run on electric for short distances but on petrol long, or something like that.

Pros of C#++

Using the best of both languages

Spending more time working and less time comparing or feeling insecure about chosen language

Learning and improving in 2 languages

Able to work with a lot more libraries that don't necessarily have wrappers or updated ones

Cons of C#++

Compile times can suffer at times naturally because of C++

No more invites to C# / C++ dinner parties sad.png

but, sadly, this crosses over into areas where implementation differences show up (at least, in my experience, if portability matters):

for example, .NET has C++/CLI, Mono doesn't;

.NET interfaces fairly directly with native code (easily allows calls between native and CLR code, passing data structures back and forth, ...), whereas Mono gives more limited P/Invoke functionality (call out), and otherwise requires the use of an explicit API (which is specific to Mono), ...

this would mean that implementation portability would require wrapping it (or writing a "glue generator" tool), and adding a lot of hassle.

also, Mono is a bit of a beast code-wise, and is difficult to get built on Windows (hindering a plain Mono route), ...

so, yeah, it is mostly a matter of implementations...

granted, yes, it works a lot better if portability isn't as much of a concern.

I had once looked at DotNetAnywhere, but ended up not using it.

more fun is if you want to be able to eval C# code or load it from source.

the path of least resistance in my case was mostly just to continue on in the same direction (using a mix of C and my own scripting language).

Ah yes, I often forget about Linux / Apple. Sadly both OS didn't appeal to me during my modest time playing with them because of major reasons and concerns, so for now I am happily pure MS / Windows :) and I am yet to have any complaints

The thing I love the most on programming is, like cited before, findind a solution to a bug after a sudden realization.

The thing I hate the most is useless/misleading error information.

I love prototyping games, and getting the basic builds up.

I hate polishing off the ui stuff, and making all the buttons. I'm perfectly fine with making things work by pressing a key, and using simple text to represent the state of things(such as health/mana/stamina). But alas not everyone enjoys that...simplicity, it's just boring to position an ui label, write the code to make it say something, position button, write the code to make it do stuff, etc. then you've gatta make sure they all look nice, and flow right. it's just so boring.

I'm working on a text-mode game for just that reason, with the basic idea of "Let me just tell you what is happening and you can respond when I let you." Going well. smile.png

I love getting the ball rolling, but I have to kick myself in the pants to keep working on it. That goes with everything I do which I don't get paid for, of course.

When people make a post and don't specify a language (yes, even on this forum). It makes it more annoying to have to go in there and look through it before actually filtering for the things that you're actually good in and going only for those questions.