ripple effects

Started by
8 comments, last by black_mage_s 22 years, 5 months ago
Ripple, not Nipple. Is there any specific way to make a ripple effect in direct3d? i was supposed to post this in my other topic but forgot.
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
Advertisement
check out Game Programming Gems for cool water ripple effects. they use opengl, but ripple effects are graphics API independent anyway.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
If your ripple effect ends up sucking try coding a nipple effect, it might distract your viewer away from the awful ripple effect.

------------
- outRider -
TASTELESS ! IMPERIALISTIC ! EXPLOIATIVE ! DEGRADING TO WOMEN !
Oh...excuse me...that was the feminist mime.

good one

Actually...I think combining a circle and a sine function would make it work. I`ve toyed with how the different equations would work in my mind but I`ve never coded a ripple.

I came, I saw, I got programmers block.
~V''''lion
~V'lionBugle4d
How is that degrading to women, men have nipples too!

I _just did this for a demo I sent in to a company. There''s actually a decent tut on GameDev, though the one in Gems is a little better.

No trig is needed, you just use a weighted average of points on a grid.

I had problems with the rendering, if the waves got too big, it didn''t look very smooth at all. I started fiddling with bezier interpolations, but ran outta time. It was a lot of fun loading various pictures and making them ripple.

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- Not For Rent
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Hmmmm.... Does that work for 3d images as well?
thats the thiing i want ripplesd
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
3D? Like a floating sphere of water?

It would take a more complicated control grid - you''d need a grid along the surface of the object.... and you''d need to know which other points were around it....

Instead of using x,y,z you could use sphereical notation, theta,phi, rho - and make rho go in and out (as opposed to z up & down). Then the tesselator needs to create the correct triangles from the spherical control points.

I think I''d start with a planar surface before I tried a sphere.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
this topic may help to show you what i want to do.

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=63908
quote:
If your ripple effect ends up sucking try coding a nipple effect

I thought "sucking" is the nipple effect )
Kippesoep
I believe Lactating would be the correct effect, otherwise you''ve got equivilant to a mouth in terms of functionality

If you can read this, All your base are belong to us!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement