Sign in to follow this  
Shayel

First breakout game

Shayel    256

Hi

This my first breakout game.. I need suggestions on what to improve, what is wrong, what is totally incorrect. There are 2 levels, menu titles are awful :/ Controls: mouse.

Thanks in advance

FLeBlanc    3141
Played it. Looks good. Here are my thoughts:

UI is minimal and that's fine. But at the opening menu, you can click with the mouse to start the game, and the game is played with the mouse. However, on the level transition screen you have to hit Enter to continue, and can't click it with the mouse. It's a little jarring to have to take hand off mouse for that one UI interaction.

The white background doesn't really do it for me. My eyes would be more pleased if the background were dark and the ball and paddle were light colored.

The ball movement seems a little coarse and jumpy. A simple game like this on a powerful modern computer should run silky smooth, but it doesn't. How are you handling movement? Is it delta-based or fixed-step with interpolation? If the latter, are you actually interpolating? To me, the ball movement almost feels like a fixed-step setup without interpolation, or the frame rate is somehow otherwise limited to something that is too low for the speed of the ball.

All in all, though, a good effort.

Shayel    256

Well.. the frame rate is the topic that has been giving me a headache. I can never set the FPS and ball speed so everything is satysfying me. This is one of my first games, so I don't know much :D But here is how I am doing it:

the ball has x,y offsets and vX, vY velocities. Game is set to 100FPS, so every frame has to take no longer than 10ms. On every frame the velocities are added to the offsets, and the proper Delay is set (based on how much time I have to delay). vY is const = 5, and vX is based on where the ball hits the paddle.

I would greatly appreciate any tips on this matter :D or any tutorials, books, anything that could help me.