Making an optimized 3d mmo in open gl c++

Started by
17 comments, last by rouncer 11 years ago

I currently starting to make a mmorpg in c++ using opengl. How could I optimized it to run the best it can on integrated graphics but also take full advantage of top of line graphics card like a GTX 660 or higher.Would it been done directly in the way I code opengl or would it been done by changing the quality of the texture images??

Advertisement

Drop OpenGL and port it to D3D9.

Seriously.

OpenGL on integrated graphics is getting better for sure, but it's still not in the same league as D3D for robustness of driver quality and all-round general predictable behaviour. D3D will give you (and - importantly - your players) a much more stable, solid experience and with less driver weirdness to have to deal with on integrateds, you'll be able to access features that are just not available with their OpenGL drivers (such as high-level shaders), and you'll be able to target machines with OEM drivers that don't include OpenGL support. D3D9 in particular will enable you to hit even older Intel GMA class graphics with a reasonably full feature set.

On the other hand, and being a little more serious, I'd suggest that you're spreading your target hardware too wide. You're talking several generations of hardware and at least an order of magnitude difference in performance, and you want to get the best possible out of it all. Even with the best will in the world that's just not going to happen; nobody does that, not even major game studios with huge budgets. So scale down your ambitions and pick a more realistic and achievable goal instead.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Is Direct x portable to mac??

No, DirectX is Windows only. That said, it sounds like you may be a beginner of sorts. Perhaps you should aim for a smaller scale project to get an understanding of the graphics API before you target something as large as an MMORPG?

Is Direct x portable to mac??

Yes, with OpenGL.

I don't consider myself a beginner, I have over 3 years of c++, c# and game programming behind me but I have not programmed a game with optimized graphics.

OK, but I still think you're taking on too much here. Let's recap.

You want this to be portable, and presumably as well as Windows and Mac you're also looking at Linux.

You want it to take full advantage of modern/high-end graphics cards.

You also want it to run as well as possible on low ends and integrateds (which are also going to include those integrateds with OEM drivers I mentioned).

You're just not going to be able to do this, full stop. It's neither a realistic nor an achievable goal. Yes, it's nice to be all inclusive, but one person dosn't have time or resources to do it.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

I have seen good OpenGL performance and compatibility in the newest Intel integrated GPUs, like HD Graphics 3000 and co. These will eg. be able to do deferred rendering without problems and with reasonable performance. Anything older than that (for example GMA 3000/4000, not HD) will be problematic and works much better with D3D. Note I'm only talking of Windows drivers here, have not tested Intel cards on Linux or Mac.

To scale performance consists of many things, in addition to texture resolution you can eg.

- reduce complexity of shading equations

- leave out "decoration" objects on low-end systems, as well as particle effects

- have object LODs with fewer triangles

- disable dynamic shadows, or render them with lower resolution

- disable or scale down post processing effects

Basically, everything you usually see in games' graphics settings menus.

This question is like putting the cart before the horse. If you dont have a game you dont need to worry about optimizing it.

I would worry much more about how to actually undertake such a huge project as an MMORPG that needs a large amount of content. Maybe you would be better off doing something less demanding?

I don't consider myself a beginner, I have over 3 years of c++, c# and game programming behind me but I have not programmed a game with optimized graphics.

Oh, I see! You are a big boy now! smile.png

MMORPGs require large budgets (tens of millions of dollars is probably the right order of magnitude) and involve hiring lots of people. The details of how to optimize the graphics are something you can ask one the experienced graphics programmers you will need to hire.

I know some people don't like analogies, but this is a bit like wanting to make a movie like Avatar and asking about some technical aspect, like motion capture. While motion capture was important for this movie, what you should be thinking about if you want to make a movie like Avatar is that you need a movie studio and a lot of money. Or you could make some low-budget indie film instead (clicky), or you could get a job in someone else's project so that you can learn how the business works.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement