freetype fonts

Started by
2 comments, last by ConflictEnsues 11 years ago

I am trying to implement the freetype font method shown in

http://nehe.gamedev.net/tutorial/freetype_fonts_in_opengl/24001/

with some of my own code. I am using Windows 7 and Codeblocks with MinGW.

The issue I am running into is that when I try to call

our_font.init("usuzv2i.ttf", 16);

I get a popup box saying "This application has requested runtime to terminate it in an unusual way." It then immediately crashes.

There's a decent chance I'm encountering a problem with the below because I don't have the file setup right but I don't know. I downloaded "usuzv2i.ttf" and put it in my active directory.

// This Is Where We Load In The Font Information From The File.
        // Of All The Places Where The Code Might Die, This Is The Most Likely,
        // As FT_New_Face Will Fail If The Font File Does Not Exist Or Is Somehow Broken.
        if (FT_New_Face( library, fname, 0, &face ))
            throw std::runtime_error("FT_New_Face failed (there is probably a problem with your font file)");

Advertisement

Are you sure that the font file is in the current working directory? For example when developing in Microsoft Visual Studio, the location of the .exe file will NOT be the working directory by default! You could try checking whether the file exists before trying to open it using ifstream or something similar.

Another possibility (though is consider it unlikely) is, like it says in the comment, that the file is somehow broken. If the above doesn't help, try downloading it again.

Thankyou; progress!

I put the dll's in what i had taken to be the active directory and ran the executable. The program ran so I guess that was the active directory.

Unfortunately that means I need to do something so codeblocks knows where to find the file. I've been messing around with directory settings but haven't figured it out yet.

under

project properties->build targets->objects output directory

specifying the path there fixes it ^.^

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement