Sign in to follow this  
HElwy

Finished my first C++ book, where to go from here?

Just finished my first book (beginning c++ through game programming), and I was able to make games like Zork and a blackjack game (which is the last program in the book), but I know nothing about making any sort of graphics/interface, so I was just wondering.

I was going to get Game Coding Complete, but it seems like it uses C# and LUA codes, and I'm trying to stick to C++, but if it's the right book for me now, I'll get it. So can someone give me an advice about that? What should I do next?

Most of the safety conventions in C++ like clearing new allocations are already built in to C#. It is a big advantage to know both C# and C++ since C# is for rapid and safe development while C++ is dangerous to get more performance and control. Scripting is a powerful thing if you know where to use it because it allow you to replace modules at runtime when loading new levels and items that anyone can create.

Thanks Dawoodoz, I'll keep that in mind, I used to work on C# at first, but then it discouraged me, too many tools make it look too easy and you don't really what is going on and how the code is alternating with each tool you use (or maybe I chose the wrong book)

Alpha_ProgDes, that is an awesome article (despite the fact it seems like it's directed the over ambitious beginners who are trying to start with a GTA V clone), and the Lazy Foo SDL tutorial is awesome (so far), thanks so much :)

Well, it's quite expensive but from the number of people recommending it, It's pretty clear it's not a waste of money, I'll get it when I'm done with Lazy Foo's tutorial, and those articles sure looks like they will come in handy, too much reading to do I guess :D , thanks a lot PragmaOnce, that was an extremely helpful reply :)

Just finished my first book (beginning c++ through game programming), and I was able to make games like Zork and a blackjack game (which is the last program in the book), but I know nothing about making any sort of graphics/interface, so I was just wondering.

I was going to get Game Coding Complete, but it seems like it uses C# and LUA codes, and I'm trying to stick to C++, but if it's the right book for me now, I'll get it. So can someone give me an advice about that? What should I do next?

Game Coding Complete does not use c#.  Though it may have a chapter or two on scripting using lua, it really is a c++ book.  However I would imagine it's way over your head right now.  I suggest you pickup a library like SFML and start cranking out some 2d games.  I suggest SFML because it is object oriented.  Get the nightly from the forums for pre built version SFML2.0 binaries.

Edited by EddieV223