Sign in to follow this  
GeniusPooh

What is real license of FTGL?

GeniusPooh    161

Hi..

I need totally free or MIT license Font lib.

I'm Korean so I can use multibyte character.

Everybody using FTGL..

but at source forge it marked as GPL!!

and at their document  It looks like MIT.

What is real license of FTGL.

and Can you recommend me totally free font renderer?

Damn..

after 1-2 years later I must make one and mark it as totally free. 

why we must be suffered so much about font or that kind of things.

claesson92    459

"FTGL is free software. You may use it, modify it and redistribute it under the terms of the MIT license or the GNU LGPL, at your option."

- FTGL Website

FTGL uses FreeType which is released under a BSD-style license: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freetype/freetype2.git/tree/docs/FTL.TXT

Edited by claesson92

GeniusPooh    161

"FTGL is free software. You may use it, modify it and redistribute it under the terms of the MIT license or the GNU LGPL, at your option."

- FTGL Website

FTGL uses FreeType which is released under a BSD-style license: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freetype/freetype2.git/tree/docs/FTL.TXT

what is "the GNU LGPL, at your option.""??

SimonForsman    7642

"FTGL is free software. You may use it, modify it and redistribute it under the terms of the [/size]MIT license or the [/size]GNU LGPL, at your option."[/size]
- FTGL Website

what is "the [/size]GNU LGPL, at your option.""??[/size]

it means you can pick whichever of the two licenses (MIT or LGPL) you prefer.

Note: GPL and LGPL are two different licenses.

LGPL is perfectly usable for closed-source commercial games as long as you don't modify the library, and as long as you link to it dynamically.
GPL I tend to avoid for commercial software, as it has more limitations that make it less palatable to me for business purposes. Edited by Servant of the Lord

Yeah, it says you can choose to use either license. Take whichever one you like more.

As for LGPL: it's like GPL but if you link to it dynamically (i.e. link as DLL) it won't affect your source code. If you statically link then it does, just like the GPL. Honestly, since you have the option for the MIT license, go with that and make your life easier.

GeniusPooh    161

Yeah, it says you can choose to use either license. Take whichever one you like more.

As for LGPL: it's like GPL but if you link to it dynamically (i.e. link as DLL) it won't affect your source code. If you statically link then it does, just like the GPL. Honestly, since you have the option for the MIT license, go with that and make your life easier.

Still confusing .. Is it makeing sense? select very unbenefit license. ??

Who want to choose about using GPL?

If he choose MIT. he can distribute his software as GPL.

I don't understand

Cause I'm Korean? :)?

Cornstalks    7030

Trying to put this in simple English:

You may choose either the LGPL or the MIT license. You can choose either one. Some people like the LGPL and some people like the MIT. Which one you prefer depends on what your goals are. Just pick the one that is best for you.

Korean (translated by Google):

??? LGPL ?? MIT ???? ? ??? ??? ? ????. ?? ??? ??? ? ????.LGPL? MIT ?? ?? ???? ?? ?? ????. ?? ??? ??? ??? ????? ?? ?????. ???? ?? ??? ?????.

GeniusPooh    161

Okay thanks good peoples

I must use MIT..

and for not confusing others I think about make my own lib under MIT.Hmm.. ( not now :) when I'm so free )