What is real license of FTGL?

Started by
9 comments, last by GeniusPooh 11 years ago

Hi..

I need totally free or MIT license Font lib.

I'm Korean so I can use multibyte character.

Everybody using FTGL..

but at source forge it marked as GPL!!

and at their document It looks like MIT.

What is real license of FTGL.

and Can you recommend me totally free font renderer?

Damn..

after 1-2 years later I must make one and mark it as totally free.

why we must be suffered so much about font or that kind of things.

Beauty is only skin deep , ugly goes to bones

World's only 3D engine tunner and 3D engine guru.

and real genius inventor :) but very kind warm heart .. and having serious depression for suffering in Korea

www.polygonart.co.kr ( currently out dated and only Korean will change to English and new stuff when I get better condition :) sorry for that)

Advertisement

"FTGL is free software. You may use it, modify it and redistribute it under the terms of the MIT license or the GNU LGPL, at your option."

- FTGL Website

FTGL uses FreeType which is released under a BSD-style license: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freetype/freetype2.git/tree/docs/FTL.TXT

"FTGL is free software. You may use it, modify it and redistribute it under the terms of the MIT license or the GNU LGPL, at your option."

- FTGL Website

FTGL uses FreeType which is released under a BSD-style license: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freetype/freetype2.git/tree/docs/FTL.TXT

what is "the GNU LGPL, at your option.""??

and real genius inventor :) but very kind warm heart .. and having serious depression for suffering in Korea

www.polygonart.co.kr ( currently out dated and only Korean will change to English and new stuff when I get better condition :) sorry for that)

- FTGL Website

what is "the GNU LGPL, at your option.""??

it means you can pick whichever of the two licenses (MIT or LGPL) you prefer.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Note: GPL and LGPL are two different licenses.

LGPL is perfectly usable for closed-source commercial games as long as you don't modify the library, and as long as you link to it dynamically.
GPL I tend to avoid for commercial software, as it has more limitations that make it less palatable to me for business purposes.

Yeah, it says you can choose to use either license. Take whichever one you like more.

As for LGPL: it's like GPL but if you link to it dynamically (i.e. link as DLL) it won't affect your source code. If you statically link then it does, just like the GPL. Honestly, since you have the option for the MIT license, go with that and make your life easier.

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

Yeah, it says you can choose to use either license. Take whichever one you like more.

As for LGPL: it's like GPL but if you link to it dynamically (i.e. link as DLL) it won't affect your source code. If you statically link then it does, just like the GPL. Honestly, since you have the option for the MIT license, go with that and make your life easier.

Still confusing .. Is it makeing sense? select very unbenefit license. ??

Who want to choose about using GPL?

If he choose MIT. he can distribute his software as GPL.

I don't understand

Cause I'm Korean? :)?

Trying to put this in simple English:

You may choose either the LGPL or the MIT license. You can choose either one. Some people like the LGPL and some people like the MIT. Which one you prefer depends on what your goals are. Just pick the one that is best for you.

Korean (translated by Google):

??? LGPL ?? MIT ???? ? ??? ??? ? ????. ?? ??? ??? ? ????.LGPL? MIT ?? ?? ???? ?? ?? ????. ?? ??? ??? ??? ????? ?? ?????. ???? ?? ??? ?????.

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

...just choose MIT and save yourself the headache. Ask a lawyer if needed.

(OK, that was blunt, but I guess that in his case it'll be probably better in the long term =P)

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

The option to use LGPL is probably there mostly for political reasons.

Some people have a strong preference for anything GPL.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement