what buildings would you have in a military outpost?

Started by
9 comments, last by powerneg 11 years ago

Hey there everyone,

I am building a military outpost level in the UDK. The idea is that it has been overun and destroyed because of a zombie apocolypse and you are one of the last survivors and have taken shelter in whats left of the outpost. I have drawn out a rough plan of how it is going to be built but I need some more ideas so I can make the map more interesting.

Some of the buildings I have are a mess hall (with various rooms inside), armory/shooting range which is where the player will find a bulk of generic weapons, a communications building with large satelites nearby and helicopter landing pad with a heli on it. Plus I have a security gate with a .50 cal bunker in the background for extra securitybiggrin.png .

For added appeal I am adding some guard towers in key locations, a tanker thats been destroyed and is flipped on its side in flames, an Armored Personel Vehicle that also has crashed but will have extra weapons and some other goodies in the back of it.

The only conventional way of accessing the outpost will be through the security gate in the front, but I am going to add some other ways that zombies can get in (like holes in the fence and so on...) so it is more of an open ended map.

Right now I don't have any rendered images or screen shots of the map but when I do I will post it so you guys get a better idea of what it will look like.

Thanks in advance for any input, it is very appreciated!

Advertisement

the type of outpost will define what would be there. a Soviet listening post in the arctic will have very different stuff from a Nazi concentration camp or V-1 launch site. And those would differ from a Cambodian warlord's stronghold, or a big Marine training base in the U.S.

Choose a type of base. Do a little research, figure out what would be there. problem solved. and no one can accuse you of being contrived, unrealistic, or childish in your implementation.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

A nuclear bunker with cool stuff deep underground?

You could retreat there when the zombies take over.

o3o

+ Bathrooms, "burn-trash-pit", unloading bay for cargo trucks and materiel, helicopter landing pad, storage buildings, repair/mechanical halls, interrogation rooms, tactical rooms. I would also come up with a overall purpose of the outpost. Why was it built in this particular location? What is it guarding? Is there some underground facilities? This idea is nice to have when designing the overall level.

Those are some great ideas, thanks I have a lot more to think about now. The whole purpose of the game is to take on hordes of zombies for as long as you can. Of course I'll try to add different game modes too. It is similar to Left 4 dead but I am going to try to add more variety and abilities, to make the game play more interesting; like the ability to build a turret similar to the way that an engineer builds turrets in Team Fortress 2.

Of course the player will be fighting off hundreds of zombies at once, not just 20 or 30 at any given time, so needless to say you will need heavy fire power in the game. Which is one reason I think adding the ability to build automated sentry guns or turrets will be needed. With so many zombies to fight off per wave you will have to rely more on a strategy rather than the usual run and gun technique.

Anyways, these are my ideas. Thanks again for your input it helps a lot.

Depending on the type of base there might be some sort of medical facility, or at least a first aid station. For a larger facility where troops are permanently stationed on site there would probably also be barracks with sleeping quarters, bathrooms, showers, etc.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Explosives disarming facility, which just happened to receive a huge amount of landmines and grenades sent for disarmal because of inhumane explosive power when the zombie apocalypse began...?

o3o

Lots of Barracks(think closer to a smaller version of an efficiency apartment W/O cooking facilities except tiny fridge/microwave)

Rec center. TVs/computers, pool, ping pong.

Some kind of training building.

Mess hall of some kind.

Support facilities for whatever kind of vehicles there are(you need to go far enough to be able to take an engine out).

Yard maintence(silly things like lawnmowers and similar).

A lot of military bases are like mini cities these days.

• So a shopping center with gits shops and fast food restaurants.
  • A motor pool where the vehicles are kept.
  • Warehouses and storage yards.
  • Boiler room and steam tunnels.
  • Hospital.
  • Laboratory.

Offices and private quarters for high ranking officers?

Classrooms? Briefing Rooms? .... is it near water? docks? boathouses? Maybe some kind of comms room or command center?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement