C++ console games tutorials and thread pointers please

Started by
4 comments, last by VaugeCookie 11 years ago

Hi for the last 3 months i have been learning to program, i have been learning c++, its addictive, im obviously new to all this so i spend most of my time yelling obscenities at my computer then grinning like an idiot when i realise its all because i missed a ";"

i would really like to make a simple 2d game and have seen various "pong", "tick tac toe" and other examples,

i would be greatful if anyone could point me in the direction of some solid tutorial examples or any threads that i may find useful to create any kind of moving game within the console window, and if you want to chuck in any suggestions ( constructive of course ) i would welcome them too, the only programs i have at the moment are visual C++2010 and the windows sdk 7.1, though im not to sure how to use it yet, thanks again for any help / advice you throw my way, smile.png

Advertisement

If you want to create dynamic game in console, minding, that you are using Windows, I recommend you to dig into windows.h header on MSDN. There are functions in it for handling cursor position, console color and etc.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa383745%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Deltron Zero and Automator.

I know some will probably consider it a waste of time, but writing games like Tetris and Snake on the console, and moving on to small Roguelikes can be a nice exercise for novice programmers IMO. There's a useful lesson about separating game logic and graphics/input systems that writing such games for the console can help make clear.

Benryves has a tutorial that covers the basics of the console over on his site. I started there and went on to write my own wrappers for console "graphics" and input. If you follow kaktusas' link and dig around you can get to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms683175(v=vs.85).aspx which gives you the documentation on the functions in wincon.h

If you google something like "Breakout console C++" or "Snake console C++" you can also find a number of examples with code (some better than others, obviously).

thank you for this il get on it right away smile.png

I made a colorful animated boggle game in console a few years ago. I don't have a readily available executable but i have the source code for it. The code is a bit messy but i made a crude graphics and input system similar to Benryves' tutorial as what Crowseye suggested.

The game has a complete UI interface with buttons and texts and receives input from keyboard and mouse. As an added bonus there's even a mini mp3 player built-in for you to choose or switch songs and play them using fmod.

You'll also need to download fmod for the source to compile; for the music player thing.

Boggle.7z (12.5 MB)

anyone else got anything they can add to this to help me out??

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement