Am i too young ?

Started by
22 comments, last by powerneg 11 years ago

Well im going to start this by saying that im 17 and am a semi proffesional EU halo player,im wondering if im too young to start game developing for a simple game obviously haha :P
I just want a break from the game atm.
Ive been designing my game for a day or so just drawing weapons items and ect and through out these days im going to learn C++ for the first time so what are your opinions on this ?

CC definitely needed or any useful tips, im also working on this by my own because my friend thinks its a waste of time;he also is a semi proffesional EU halo player.

Will add pictures soon of my designs :)

Advertisement
Age doesnt really matter.

And if you mean the legal side of things, youll probably be old enough by the time the game is functional... be ready to put in a lot of time to learn your tools and actually make the game itself.

If you are primarily interested in the process of making games and not so much the underlying code, look into gme engines like Unity where the low level stuff is already implemented.

o3o

I started when I was 12. So no. =)

-=[Megahertz]=-

Age doesnt really matter.

And if you mean the legal side of things, youll probably be old enough by the time the game is functional... be ready to put in a lot of time to learn your tools and actually make the game itself.

If you are primarily interested in the process of making games and not so much the underlying code, look into gme engines like Unity where the low level stuff is already implemented.

thankyou and no i didnt mean the legal side, didnt even know there was a legal side to it but yeah im kind of prepared to put time in it the only thing that worries me is the coding side of things, to be fair i know my ict but coding isnt my strongest at all -.-. but thanks waterlime

I started when I was 12. So no. =)

wow that is great, what have you made so far and how old are you now :)

[attachment=14699:DSCF2033.JPG][attachment=14703:DSCF2040.JPG]

this is what ive done so far :)

By legal side i meant like setting up a formal company of you were to sell the game or something... No need to worry about that if its just for fun :)

You could start a dev journal here to post about big milestones achieved in the progress...

o3o

By legal side i meant like setting up a formal company of you were to sell the game or something... No need to worry about that if its just for fun smile.png

You could start a dev journal here to post about big milestones achieved in the progress...

Dev journal ?

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to help you out on your journey through the wonderful world of game development :)

You should put a little more time into making your posts use proper (or somewhat proper) grammar.

Personally, when I'm playing games I don't use proper grammar, but I suggest you put some more effort into your grammar when you're on forums and such. The posts on forums are lasting; they'll be here for years to come.

It doesn't have to be perfect (mine isn't).

Second, some people will suggest that you don't start with C++ because it can prove to be harder to use than some of the other alternatives. You could try using Unity as your game engine, with C# or UnityScript as your language (I personally prefer C# because it can do more). Or, if your game is 2D, you might have an easier time making it with the Game Maker engine and their scripting language, GML (Game Maker Language).

There are other engines you could use that would probably get you up and running faster and with less loss of hair than with C++.

I'd suggest you start learning general programming stuff before getting into a specific language. This is the thing I didn't do when I started learning programming. My learning was very hackneyed because of it; I kept learning how to do X with this language, instead of what X is, what it should be used for, etc.

The most important parts of programming aren't language-specific. The language is just the way you write the code, but you're still coding even if you're using different languages.

[twitter]Casey_Hardman[/twitter]

By legal side i meant like setting up a formal company of you were to sell the game or something... No need to worry about that if its just for fun smile.png

Dev journal ?

(Sorry about the double post; this was posted while I was writing my first post)

A developer journal is a place where you write about the things you're doing with a specific project, how you accomplished certain things, and what you learned along the way. GameDev has its own journal system you can use. Just go up to the top-right corner of the page, where your username is, click on that, and a menu will slide down. Click on 'Manage Journals' in the menu.

[twitter]Casey_Hardman[/twitter]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement