Am i too young ?

Started by
22 comments, last by powerneg 11 years ago

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to help you out on your journey through the wonderful world of game development smile.png

You should put a little more time into making your posts use proper (or somewhat proper) grammar.

Personally, when I'm playing games I don't use proper grammar, but I suggest you put some more effort into your grammar when you're on forums and such. The posts on forums are lasting; they'll be here for years to come.

It doesn't have to be perfect (mine isn't).

Second, some people will suggest that you don't start with C++ because it can prove to be harder to use than some of the other alternatives. You could try using Unity as your game engine, with C# or UnityScript as your language (I personally prefer C# because it can do more). Or, if your game is 2D, you might have an easier time making it with the Game Maker engine and their scripting language, GML (Game Maker Language).

There are other engines you could use that would probably get you up and running faster and with less loss of hair than with C++.

I'd suggest you start learning general programming stuff before getting into a specific language. This is the thing I didn't do when I started learning programming. My learning was very hackneyed because of it; I kept learning how to do X with this language, instead of what X is, what it should be used for, etc.

The most important parts of programming aren't language-specific. The language is just the way you write the code, but you're still coding even if you're using different languages.

thats fine and yeah i know what you mean :)

I've never coded before so its going to be a nemesis to learn i think.

Advertisement

If you like the technical side, and want to learn how the internals of computers work.. and math and similar.. then definitely start coding, but prepare to start with text-based programs and then some simple 2D games for quite a while before you can do anything bigger. Your first games will be something like "guess the number" or "rock paper scissors" in text.

After you're comfortable with the language in general you can learn graphics and create something like Pong.

I started with C when I was 12 and then C++ and then other languages, and it's a lot of fun if you like coding, but if you want your drawings on screen in nice graphics in the near future, then low-level coding isn't what you want to be doing. For that, learn a 3D modeling or other art program, and combine with Unity.

Games like Halo usually don't use much C++ to implement the game logic. The engine driving the game is in C++ and takes years to create, and the actual game logic is implemented in scripting (as you also do in Unity).

You still need to learn some coding to be able to script your models, and you still start by doing text-based programs in the scripting-language of your choice, but it will be a lot easier and faster.

I don't mean to put you off C++, it's fun to learn, but only do it if you like the technical side.

1. im wondering if im too young to start game developing for a simple game
2. I've never coded before so its going to be a nemesis to learn i think.

1. There's no age requirement for game development. That said, though, employers (like at game companies) might have requirements that a 17-year-old couldn't meet. Why do you ask this? Is it because you want to get a job developing games?

2. This forum is "game design" - not programming. While it is beneficial for anyone, no matter the job, to know something about programming, it isn't a requirement for game design. Why do you mention programming, when you've posted in the game design forum?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

If you like the technical side, and want to learn how the internals of computers work.. and math and similar.. then definitely start coding, but prepare to start with text-based programs and then some simple 2D games for quite a while before you can do anything bigger. Your first games will be something like "guess the number" or "rock paper scissors" in text.

After you're comfortable with the language in general you can learn graphics and create something like Pong.

I started with C when I was 12 and then C++ and then other languages, and it's a lot of fun if you like coding, but if you want your drawings on screen in nice graphics in the near future, then low-level coding isn't what you want to be doing. For that, learn a 3D modeling or other art program, and combine with Unity.

Games like Halo usually don't use much C++ to implement the game logic. The engine driving the game is in C++ and takes years to create, and the actual game logic is implemented in scripting (as you also do in Unity).

You still need to learn some coding to be able to script your models, and you still start by doing text-based programs in the scripting-language of your choice, but it will be a lot easier and faster.

I don't mean to put you off C++, it's fun to learn, but only do it if you like the technical side.

thankyou very much really apreciated and yeah i cant get my head around coding, i prefer to draw :P

1. im wondering if im too young to start game developing for a simple game
2. I've never coded before so its going to be a nemesis to learn i think.

1. There's no age requirement for game development. That said, though, employers (like at game companies) might have requirements that a 17-year-old couldn't meet. Why do you ask this? Is it because you want to get a job developing games?

2. This forum is "game design" - not programming. While it is beneficial for anyone, no matter the job, to know something about programming, it isn't a requirement for game design. Why do you mention programming, when you've posted in the game design forum?

1.sorry i should of been clearer and stuck to the designing part. and yeah i would like to get a job in designing it like weapons and items if you know what i mean,

2. I think i answered this in number 1 and to be honest with you its kind of my first time in a gaming developing forum so I dont know what to expect. sorry about all this :(

and yeah i would like to get a job in designing

Okay, then I'm moving this to the Breaking In forum. I think you would find a lot of information applicable to all questions you might have about getting a job as a game designer, in the Breaking In forum FAQs: http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/breaking-into-the-industry-r16

Okay, then I'm moving this to the Breaking In forum. I think you would find a lot of information applicable to all questions you might have about getting a job as a game designer, in the Breaking In forum FAQs: http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/breaking-into-the-industry-r16

ok thanks but im 17 though ?

Well im going to start this by saying that im 17 and am a semi proffesional EU halo player,im wondering if im too young to start game developing for a simple game obviously haha tongue.png
I just want a break from the game atm.
Ive been designing my game for a day or so just drawing weapons items and ect and through out these days im going to learn C++ for the first time so what are your opinions on this ?

CC definitely needed or any useful tips, im also working on this by my own because my friend thinks its a waste of time;he also is a semi proffesional EU halo player.

Will add pictures soon of my designs smile.png

Everyone starts sometime. Do yourself a big favor and learn the fundamentals of programming and how software is structured and works, though. Good coding and memory management techniques go a long way, too. C++ is a complex language in many ways, and things like pointers can be hard to understand, but having some good tutorials helps. It kinda depends on what you're doing -- we have a three person team making an indie game, and are using Unity. My focus is on getting a product finished and out the door. If you're looking to make a game, don't reinvent the wheel. On the other hand, if you want to get into graphcis coding, then you're building a new sort of wheel. Just depends on your focus.

Are you saying you're too young to read FAQs? I don't understand why your youth is any sort of barrier to reading and learning about industry jobs and starting to prepare.

Are you saying you're too young to read FAQs? I don't understand why your youth is any sort of barrier to reading and learning about industry jobs and starting to prepare.

no i didnt mean that just dont worry, you helped me enough already

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement