• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurado

Wish-lists of games developers

11 posts in this topic

I would like to get your view on what you consider the most time-consuming steps in games development and what you think adds the most value in your games but might be difficult to achieve.

Development stories from the community are also much appreciated.

I would have voted for "In-game environment" under things that could advance a game to the next level but are challenging to add (last two categories). When I'm trimming a game design down to something manageable to implement, 3D interactable environments are usually the first thing that gets cut down to 2D non-interactable environments. I did vote for AI in these two categories; specifically the AI that I think of as cool but too expensive to develop is the kind that controls character animations in 3D games like Spore and Sims 2/3.

I also would have voted for better story as a thing that could advance many games to the next level (though not my games specifically). Edited by sunandshadow

I'm an hobbyist indie developer trying to go commercially indie.

What do you consider the most important in a game?
Atmosphere and exploration - depends on personal taste

Followed by world background and character plot
[b][Edit:][/b] Ofcourse, this is after gameplay, as ApochPiQ mentions below. I'm assuming the 'game' part of the game is actually enjoyable.

What takes the most time during development of your games?
Programming

What could advance your games to the next level?
Good art and music and sound effects

Edited by Servant of the Lord

I'm rather perplexed by this poll.

Where's the options for "enjoyable gameplay"?

That, and nothing else, is what is most important in games. It's also the hardest part.

Where's the options for "enjoyable gameplay"?

That, and nothing else, is what is most important in games. 

... and therefore its "selected by default". As its kind of the mandatory answer there is no point in adding it to the poll, is there? wink.png

Edit: In general, "game concept" should cover "enjoyable gameplay" as the concept should make sure the game is fun to play.

Edited by Gurado

I must agre with ApochPiQ. I've been developing a 3D game for a while now. The quality of the graphics has gotten a lot better and so has the music and AI, but there's still something missing. That's why for me, the most challenging that has to be making the game fun. I've been trying to figure out what I've been missing. Maybe I need to try to tap the players emotions more.

I'm sure most have played games with incredible art and sound, but it was at the same time incredibly boring. Btw, I'm not saying my game has incredible art.

"You must cast your vote in each question of the poll." :/ I would have preferred to have answered for the first question only, the others were very balanced and really didn't need any answers checked.

Anyway a good game for me is something challenging, has a great storyline (think Eternal Darkness, Tales of Symphonia etc) and has great music (WoW for example).

I am more into MMOs than anything and stopped playing games hardcore years ago, sadly too many games are dumbed down and mimic WoW in the worst possible way, sometimes I think the people in charge of decisions only got to the position they are in by having a lot of shares in the company.

"You must cast your vote in each question of the poll." :/ I would have preferred to have answered for the first question only, the others were very balanced and really didn't need any answers checked.

I agree that all aspects are important to a game.  Anyhow, I am interested in personal views and flavours on the topic especially what developers find personally the most challenging.

most important:

probably a reasonably well-implemented game, that also has good gameplay.

basically, if the game is buggy/broken/... this isn't really good.

nor is having things sufficiently kludged and brittle that things barely work as-is.

programming and artwork tend to take up a big chunk of the time IME (though in my case, programming tends to dominate).

the main thing that is lacking:

that the gameplay doesn't suck...

but, it is sort of a mystery of "how will I best go about making things better?...".

basically, it is a problem of sucky gameplay and boring worlds...

Rather than "stunning graphics" I would have gladly settled for "adequate graphics" in my games :)

I can make fairly entertaining games without much difficulty, but I have no talent whatsoever at graphical design. 

Rather than "stunning graphics" I would have gladly settled for "adequate graphics" in my games smile.png

I can make fairly entertaining games without much difficulty, but I have no talent whatsoever at graphical design. 

yep, but sadly one man's "adequate" is another man's "horrid"...

I tend to try mostly for "adequate" in the sense that "the scene looks like what could be reasonably expected", but some other people see this as being fancy.

"why do you need real-time lighting and shadows?" "so that I don't have to deal with lightmaps, and shadows to stop light from going through walls..." (and ray-cast vertex lighting doesn't really look very good, and isn't really faster enough to really justify it). "why not render everything fullbright?", "seriously?!".

(so: the problem, what seems adequate to one person seems horrid to another, and seems overly elaborate to another...).

Edited by cr88192

I hate when games have great concepts and fail in execution. One of my favorite games from IO interactive was freedom fighters I think it was a pretty solid game all around about what an invasion by russia on american soil would look like and have enjoyed beating it twice jsut because of how much I love it.   So when I heard about the concept of Turning point fall of liberty: which took place in an alternative WW2 where the Axis and primarily the Nazis invaded and controolled america I was ecstatic....unfortunately the game was terrible. great concept and I even love the intro news reels that show history diverged and lead to his scenario but the game itself was terrible .  

I think situations like that where a good concept is executed terribly are the worst , because in order to have a good concept or story at least someone put effort and time into thinking it through but for the game mechanics themselves to fail it makes the othr qualities of such a game seem Irredeemable .