Sign in to follow this  
gretty

UML Diagrams used to model a websites architecture

Hello

I am attempting to understand what UML models/diagrams can be used to communicate a websites architecture.

The model or models' purpose is to communicate the architecture and functionality of a website to technical people (other software developers and engineers).

Website Features:
- The website is a recipe search engine
- Server side code is Python. Client side uses HTML, CSS, JQuery and AJAX.
- The website will have a Web Crawler/Indexer
- Infinite Scrolling is utilised when viewing search results so I will need to model asynchronous requests (both GET and POST).

The diagrams I am tending towards are Component Diagram (to communicate the architecture) and Sequence Diagram (to communicate the functionality of a HTTP request).

What diagrams have you used in the past to communicate the architecture and functionality of a website to technical people?

I have never done this for a website however I have used UML to communicate class diagrams and how they fit together to technical people. Used the sequence diagrams to present how a function operates internally to the API level. Usually you use flowcharts for this as they are easier to understand and most people don't need to know the implementation details of a function.

I have only ever done this for rich client applications and never a website though.