Learning materials for OGL 3.0-3.1

Started by
2 comments, last by EarthBanana 11 years ago

Hey, I've been reading "OpenGL Programming Guide Seventh Edition" book. What I really didn't like here is that the author is using a bunch of deprecated functions. I don't want to learn them, because it wouldn't be effective to use them. I heard about "SuperBible" book, but lots of people complain that the author is using something called GLTools, which hides a lot of low level stuff. So when you try to write something without GLTools, it's really hard. If not that GLTools thing, I'd surely read that book. Besides these 2 books, I couldn't find any good material to learn OGL 3.0 (my GPU supports OGL version only up to 3.1). Do you, guys, know any good materials, tutorials, books or anything, which doesn't use deprecated functions and are good to learn OGL?

Advertisement

I'd look at two things here. The Open GL Shading language book, which by nature pretty much has to describe things in regards to the updated API's. But this won't cover GL itself particularly well, just the bits required for communicating with the shader and such. The other option is to look at Open GL ES 2.0 books. Basically ES 2.0 is a subset of the full GL but only the bits related to latest and greatest functionality survived when trimmed down for the little devices. Again, it's not a perfect example but it is a pretty good start.

Otherwise, I really don't know of any books which are likely to be "pure" to the new GL standards.

I've found this page to be a great resource for OpenGL 3+, other than that, I usually just look at the official references on khronos.org for specific info on any particular function.

This website is pretty awesome goes through a lot of the basics and some advanced topics

http://ogldev.atspace.co.uk/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement