Should my game product be free or should I keep it paid?

Started by
3 comments, last by Tom Sloper 10 years, 9 months ago
Hey, I work at creability (small team) and we're still early in development for our standalone pc game. The game is a 1st person puzzle adventure that's powered by unity4 and hopefully will be on steam greenlight.

Now the pros of a free game:
- it will be played by many

Cons:
- its freaking free, no salary and we were depending on revenue lol

I understand that freemium is a way to go although I can't see it working on a single player game. I'd have to reinvent the structure of the game if so and frankly, I'd hate it if I had to pay for a game prop or something in a single player game.

If you've got more to tell please do, I need some major advice and help on figuring out if "free" is a better solution for this game or the team's downfall..haha.
Advertisement

Totally a business decision you need to make.

You might release it for free in order to build a brand and get a following. It will help when you put out your next game. You do have a plan for more than one game, don't you?

Also you might release it for free now, and once you've got some customers put in ads or other revenue-generating features. Start free, become freemium once it is worth while.

Or do something else entirely. It is your business. It is your choice.

I think I got an idea of what to do now, awesome! Thanks frob!

Hi, it's basically a numbers game and you learn from talking to people that have launched successful games at conferences and such.

When I was head of marketing at a game studio recently I wrote a piece on how you measure the value of your game, and what metrics to track:

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/BjornFant/20130424/191134/The_vital_metrics_we_track_for_our_games.php

I hope it's useful for you on how to think about the value of your game.

Freemium is usually the most profitable model, but it also needs lot's time to test and tweak the system to charge the right amount and at the right time.

Good luck!

Gruntmutter.com - what are you muttering about?

When a thread is more than 2 months old, it's best to start a new thread rather than necro it. Closing.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement