Sign in to follow this  
Fromfame

Visual coding (does it make you look stupid?)

Hey, so I'm everything but a coder and for years I couldn't find a dedicated coder so I decided to invest my time and money on learning a visual code tool called playmaker in the unity4 engine.

I'm around 3 months into it and 5 into the game I'm working on with my team and I'm the only person that makes logic and actions happen in game, am I considered a coder? Because as much as I love visual coding it cripples real code, am I allowed to put myself as "game designer & coder" at the end credits?

People on my team recommend getting a real coder, I'm making good progress on the code for the game and they see that and tend to be impressed although should I stop what I'm doing and get a real coder? Is it a waste of time? I think I can do this, at least for this game.

If you're able to express the logic required for your game and you're able to do so without un-due difficulty then there's no real reason you should need to switch or bring someone else on to your team.

Yes, you can call yourself the project's programmer; programming is about expressing logic, solving problems and obtaining correct results whilst meeting requirements, all of which you're still doing with a visual editor. It's not really about typing and memorizing what can to some people seem like arcane syntax.

Ultimately, as long as it doesn't impact the final product players simply do not care how a game was made. :-)

Guest Hiwas

There is nothing inherently wrong with visual coding and as jb says, it "is" real programming.  To give you an idea, most of the logic in a little game called The Sims was in Edith which was a custom block based visual language.  OK, I think they used it a bit too much when printing out the scripts took up an entire wall with boxes about half an inch tall, but that's how much of the logic for the objects, sims and scripted events in the later expansions was all done.  It really was a pretty horrible little language also, so if you have something which works nicely, I see no reason not to keep using it. :)