Kickstarter Rewards- First Draft

Started by
18 comments, last by Got_Rhythm 10 years, 11 months ago

Good evening,

In four weeks I will have a Kickstarter to fund the production of my game Necromancer, The Fight For Life.

You can see some initial art and story here-

http://www.necromancergame.com/

And I have a blog here-

http://www.necromancergame.com/progress/progress.html

Below is my first draft for my Kickstarter rewards, please feel free to offer me any feedback on them. I like to think I am being quite generous compared to a lot of other Kickstarter's I've seen. I went for hats rather than t-shirts because I have heard horror stories of how expensive and complicated it can be to custom order t-shirts because people want different sizes which complicates matters.

$1- a warm email thank you.

$5- name in in-game credits, name in website credits, a sticker pack, access to exclusive development blog (different from personal blog).

$10- digital copy of finished game on any platform it is developed for, plus above rewards.

$20- digital copy of Necromancer Field Guide (an art book in the style of a naturalist's field guide for undead!) plus an extra digital copy of the game on any platform it is developed for, plus above rewards.

$50- a Necromancer cap or beanie plus above rewards.

$75- physical copy of Necromancer Field Guide (soft cover and signed) plus above rewards.

$100- your likeness and name as an in game NPC plus above rewards.

$200- your likeness and name as in game enemy necromancer or soldier portrait (visible in battle) plus above rewards.

$500- your likeness and name as a major in game character in a side quest, plus above rewards.

$1000- your name and likeness as an in game heroic statue in a town or city center with readable plaque, plus above rewards.

Thank you for your time.

Advertisement
I'd reverse the sticker pack and the copy of the game. The one which is equivalent to pre-ordering the game should be the standard basic one, though if you still want that to be $10 make the other $15. Also, if you're taking donations via paypal, it doesn't work very well for donations as small as $1.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

$50- a Necromancer cap or beanie plus above rewards.

$75- physical copy of Necromancer Field Guide (soft cover and signed) plus above rewards.

Do people actually like physical rewards?

I for one couldn't care less, and I'd much rather the funds were being spent on making the game than on printing beanies (a surprisingly expensive process).

I certainly wouldn't attach the physical rewards to all further reward levels. How am I meant to back you to the tune of $100, if I don't want the physical reward?

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

S&S- thank you for the feedback, I will bump the copy of the game down to $5 and adjust the rest accordingly.

S.C- I always imagined that physical rewards were optional- like someone could donate $100 but say they decline the physical rewards. Is that not the case?

S.C- I always imagined that physical rewards were optional- like someone could donate $100 but say they decline the physical rewards. Is that not the case?

I mean, they could donate $100 and choose to take the $25 reward. But what if they want the $100 reward, minus the physical?

Most kickstarters these days offer separate '$100 (physical)' and '$100 (digital)' reward levels, where the digital is one tier higher, but without the physical rewards.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Just be aware of the work you're going to have to put in for physical things. Try to imagine the worst case scenario that your kickstarter explodes and you suddenly have to provide 10,000+ of each physical thing.

In that regard this stood out to me:
"$75- physical copy of Necromancer Field Guide (soft cover and signed) plus above rewards."

You may want to put limits on things that can't be automated at scale. Maybe do first 200 signed and then a separate reward tier with the unsigned version.

T-shirts are also easy scalable physical rewards people might like.
Swift- ah I see what you mean, I will do a re-draft with physical and non physical reward tiers at the same contribution level. Thank you.

Way2- I hadn't considered limiting things like only having a certain amount of signed copies. That is definitely something I will do.

I am still against t-shirts for now, as the can come in 5 different sizes at least so ordering them, organizing and shipping them will be complicated, which is why I went for hats and caps instead. Let me know if you have other ideas though please.

I am still against t-shirts for now, as the can come in 5 different sizes at least so ordering them, organizing and shipping them will be complicated, which is why I went for hats and caps instead. Let me know if you have other ideas though please.

That's legit. I was just mentioning them because they're pretty easy to buy in bulk.

I only really have backed physical goods on kickstarter, so I'm most in tune with the things they call out that they end up spending way more money on than they originally planned.

Relevant.

The more digital rewards as possible, the better. Mailing is expensive, plus boxes, plus the items. And then you have your own manual labor of packing everything.

$5- name in in-game credits, name in website credits, a sticker pack, access to exclusive development blog (different from personal blog).

A game about Necromancers doesn't sound like stickers would appeal to your target audience. I'd drop the stickers entirely... unless you want the $5 (-15%) to become -$2 after mailing your stickers by airplane to Hawaii or some isolated town in Alaska (Hey, it's in the USA!).

I've also heard people have been completely sideswiped by shipping costs for Australia, even after saying "Add $15 for international shipping".

I'm not sure the stickers would be the motivating tipping point for someone to actually contribute, if they were on the edge about it.

$10- digital copy of finished game on any platform it is developed for, plus above rewards.

Steam, iOS, XBox Live, Playstation Network, Windows Store, and Mac App Store. Do any of them charge you a fee for distributing free copies of non-free games to customers directly, cutting out the store's cut? It's something you might want to look into.

According to your wording "on any platform it is developed for", in 20 years if you port the game to a new system, you might be legally obligated to give me a free copy and eat the cost yourself.

I like the name, but I honestly see nothing worthy passed $10 and that $1000 donation is crazy I'm offering much more for $50. keep us updated!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement