Other dev forums

Started by
11 comments, last by ChristianFrantz 11 years ago

I've been part of the gameDev community for some time now, and I love it. Everyone on here is so helpful and very rarely ever gives bad advice or does the usual "read more tutorials" response, and if it is used, links and advice are followed.

I recently joined another forum to get some more information and I can honestly say that I hate the community there. The only good thing I can say about it is that I get responses to my questions usually within 5 minutes of posting the question. Most of the responses, however, are something along the lines of "Your code is messed up in so many ways, go back and relearn the language". I do get answers to my questions, but not without sifting through a lot of bullshit responses from coders that are better than you.

To me, the point of forums is to learn from your mistakes. I don't see the point in negatively criticizing someone if you're not going to at least point a link to a tutorial or give them some advice.

But that's just me rambling. How does gamedev compare to your experiences on other forums?

If you see a post from me, you can safely assume its C# and XNA :)

Advertisement

I've pretty much completely moved to Stackoverflow for Q&A. I still browse the GDNet lounge an occasionally general development when I'm procrastinating.

I've been part of the gameDev community for some time now, and I love it. Everyone on here is so helpful and very rarely ever gives bad advice or does the usual "read more tutorials" response, and if it is used, links and advice are followed.
I recently joined another forum to get some more information and I can honestly say that I hate the community there. The only good thing I can say about it is that I get responses to my questions usually within 5 minutes of posting the question. Most of the responses, however, are something along the lines of "Your code is messed up in so many ways, go back and relearn the language". I do get answers to my questions, but not without sifting through a lot of bullshit responses from coders that are better than you.
To me, the point of forums is to learn from your mistakes. I don't see the point in negatively criticizing someone if you're not going to at least point a link to a tutorial or give them some advice.
But that's just me rambling. How does gamedev compare to your experiences on other forums?

What other places have you frequented?

I've pretty much completely moved to Stackoverflow for Q&A. I still browse the GDNet lounge an occasionally general development when I'm procrastinating.

You are a very very bad person. Shame on you.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

You are a very very bad person. Shame on you.

It's hard to beat the responsiveness of Stackoverflow and this forum is painful to filter on. I would happily help out with C# questions here, but the tag system is broken. For example, here are all the C# "tags".

http://www.gamedev.net/tags/forums/C%23/

Not exactly useful. Compare to the gamedev stackexchange or even just stackoverflow.com.

http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/c%23

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/c%23

Overall the forum software here is broken compared to any modern alternative.

Im talking about stackoverflow. Everybody there just seems hostile and eager to tell you how bad you are. The fast responses are what keeps me asking questions there though

Other dev forums? Madness! This is GAMEDEV! *kicks casadilla into the abyss*

I should make a StackOverflow account someday but I often end up either solving stuff on my own (always thinking "now if i don't solve it in the next 10min, I'm starting a thread asking for help" and never actually doing it :D ) or I get sidetracked by something else (ie, was planning to code a scene graph, ended up trying to implement a fractal terrain paper).

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Lol I usually get stuck on one thing at a time and if I can't figure out that one thing then I cant do anything else -.-

StackOverflow seem to have become my dedicated C# documentation source, but ive never needed to register an account there. Whenever I type "How to XYZ in C#" into google, the top result is always a StackOverflow page where someone's already asked the same question :-)

Im talking about stackoverflow. Everybody there just seems hostile and eager to tell you how bad you are. The fast responses are what keeps me asking questions there though

I've started to use StackOverflow more, but it's not the best place to ask questions like "my code is broken how do I fix it?" If I have a "my code is broken how do I fix it" type of question, I usually ask it here on GameDev.net. If I have a more Q&A style question, especially one that digs into language standards, I ask it on StackOverflow instead of here.

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement