transition from 2d to 3d

Started by
16 comments, last by ChristianFrantz 11 years ago

So last night I successfully finished my space invaders game :D all together I've made pong, breakout, and space invaders. I want to get into 3d programming now and I think I have a pretty good grasp on c#. Would I be better off sticking with XNA or using a different library for 3d? Or should I stick with a few more 2d games? I'm just excited and eager to start on 3d lol

If you see a post from me, you can safely assume its C# and XNA :)

Advertisement

Make more complex 2d games like super Mario. stuff like that actually requires the programmer to plan his design before coding. This is much more true in 3d

Do you know any good tutorials or books that teach platforming or advanced 2d stuff in XNA?

Unfortunately I dont, but im sure some xna wiz on these forums will point you in the right direction

Do you think the game will be better in 3d?It will spend your more time and energy,and you should consider about this issue.

What's more,great 2d games are also welcomed by lots of players.

http://www.game-silkroad.com
info_game@silkroadcg.com

XNA is great for 3D - especially if you're comfortable with C#. You could also try out MonoGame (http://www.monogame.net/) - an open source implementation of XNA which works across multiple platforms.

There are some things you cant do in 2d that you can only do in 3d. And I really just want to push myself forward in learning

I would definitely recommend sticking with XNA, since when you decide to take other platforms for a spin, all you need to do is just to do a conversion to MonoGame and suddenly your game can run on Andorid - Playstation Vita, iOS on to pof XBOX, WP8 and PC.

I can totally understand your desire to switch to 3D.

If I can slightly point you in the right direction, I would very strongly recommend staying off the games that need 3D characters - it is way too much work to get them created in the first place, properly textured, animated in 3dsmax and then get the same done in a 3D engine. Save that for some later game.

If you can think of a 3D game you'd like to make that does not involve 3D characters, then you just saved yourself an incredible amount of work.

Thing along the lines of:

- military theme - tanks don't need animation (you just use the rotation matrix)

- space theme - internet is full of free spaceship models and free spaceground backgrounds

- racing game - you would need some physics API here, though

- flight simulation - no characters here, but large-scale terrain rendering will keep you busy for a year or two :-)

VladR My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

I don't know if youre familiar with the game Cube World, but I really like the graphics it has. Eventually my plan is to make a multiplayer game using those types of graphics. The game will include mining for resources, creating enemies from a spawn point, and sending them to the enemies "castle" which the player can improve by mining and cutting down trees. I know I have a long way to go before I ever get that far but I need to start somewhere :P I actually have no idea where I would even start with 3d game making because I feel like there are so many options and I really need to start out with the easiest option

I am not familiar with Cube World, but it sounds awefully similar to MineCraft.

Which, in fact, is a Good Thing (TM), because:

1. Zero overhead with creation of art assets - no need to handle importing of meshes, finding artists and standing above them with the long stick :-)

2. You create the Cubes as meshes in code - very simple - lots of sample code around

3. No gfx effects [at all] are needed - look at the pathetic visual quality of Minecraft

VladR My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement