Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Face world coordinates

This topic is 5897 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve got a "Plane" object defined as part of a 3DSMax file. I need to get the world coordinates of its four vertices in my program. How do I do this? I''ve got the object''s name, and I can get the correct segment. Here''s what I''ve deduced (probably incorrectly) so far: segment->pos_keys->pos_info is the center point of the face, but if I rotate the face in MAX, I seem to get the center point of a large bounding box for the face. rot_keys.rot_info.vector is a vector pointing in the direction of the face (just a guess here). localtoworld[0] = cos(theta) localtoworld[1] = sin(theta) vertex_list.x = width vertex_list.z = height Is any of this correct? I''d suggest instead of more "tutorials", you spend time commenting your headers. Thanks, Dave

pos_keys and rot_keys are used for keyframing. You need to do this (mostly taken from collide example)

/* Disable culling */
for (segnum = 0; segnum < shape->num_segments; segnum++)
shape->segment_list[segnum].flags |= FLAG_ALWAYS_VISIBLE;

/* Reset camera matrix to identity so object isn''t projected */
PR_MatrixIdentity (PR_Globals.PR_ViewMatrix);
PR_TransformEntity (entity);

/* If you want to render this later, enable culling */
for (segnum = 0; segnum < shape->num_segments; segnum++)
shape->segment_list[segnum].flags &= ~FLAG_ALWAYS_VISIBLE;

Now get the transformed vertices from seg->vertex_data[vertnum]
in the vx,vy,vz fields. Make sure you have the D3D pipeline off before you transform.

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)