Straight to Game Engine?

Started by
7 comments, last by Dhruv Jain 10 years, 12 months ago

I am just confused.I have intermediate knowledge of c++ and c#.I just need your help to decide how to proceed.I mean i have read on the forums here about XNA and game engines.So i just want to know what should i choose. I thought XNA but i read that XNA is dead and game engines are easier.Please help

Advertisement

What is your purpose?

If you want to develop a game then go with a game engine such as Unity.

If it is for educational purpose then go create your game engine using a library such as Xna or Mono Game. Be aware that it will takes a lots of time and personal investment.

XNA, in fact IS a game engine (afaik). From what I've got XNA is dead in the sense that there is no more support from Microsoft, but, if you think about it, XNA at this time is probably far more advanced than it was a year ago, and so will it be in another year. So yeah, even without support, if you can easily use XNA, if you'd like. Alternatives are Unity3D, Orge3D, Irrlicht, MonoGame....

This is if you wanted to know what game engine you should use, right? You didn't want to know if you should use a game engine and create a game, or create an engine, did you?

First game? yeah use a game engine to help you out - suggestions above are all good for which engine

I would focus on making a game from very basics rather than making with game engine. Start with something simple, real simple. Get the major things like game loop and handling different states understood with something like pong or space invaders. It will also help you learn the language because, especially these simple games, you can really use things like polymorphism really easily and to great effect since they are so simple. Games like that will have you learning how to move things around, how to deal with collisions, how to do some AI, how to handle going from the start menu to the main game to a game over and back again, deal with transitioning levels.

I helped a friend make a real simple space invaders game for his class and it can be made in a night no problem if you put yourself to it and have a basic understanding of how to do the game loop process properly.

You mention C++, I would recommend getting the SFML library. It's pretty easy and pretty good for 2D. It offers you getting input from the user in a simplified manner, drawing 2d images to the screen, audio, and even networking. You can also use OpenGL with it and do 3D if you feel up to it. I use it as the basis of my game programming for all of that and I really recommend it. It is faster rendering than SDL since it uses OpenGL for the rendering behind the scenes and it is better organized than SDL.

XNA is not 'Dead', it is just not going to receive any updates from Microsoft to fix any 'bugs' or problems (of which there are almost none.)

XNA is a Brilliant Framework (not and engine), which allows you to interface with the GPU with HLSL and RenderTargets with little to no effort, allowing you to focus on learning shader programming instead of how to implement shaders.

The best thing i have learnt over the years using XNA is Architecture, and good design patterns. It has allowed me to concentrate on Designing a game, designing a framework (an engine if you will) for my games without having to worry about how I talk to the GPU.

So if you want to make games 'quickly' and learn more about how to acctually make a game rather than a rendering engine, XNA is for you. C# is very lexible and you can produce efficient good looking and fun games (Terria was built in XNA) easily, and have fun while you do it.

Thanks you guys.. i have downloaded Unity too and tried XNA.

I feel XNA is more fun as you get to the core. But unity is easier. Can i make sharp games in XNA like one that can be done in Unity?

I think Unity is best for your first game, but as you become more familiar with the development and debuging process, you will find the XNA has some advantages and will be faster to pick up once you have used Unity for a little bit. Just keep at it.

Thanks..I will start with Unity and get back to you when i learn it..Thank you guys :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement