• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

dx9 tutorial help

This topic is 1846 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am able to draw a triangular pyramid to the screen, I am working with the directxtutorial.com web site. I really like this tutorial. I want to draw 20 triangular pyramids to the screen. Here is the code I am working with.
        { -1.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(0, 255, 0), },
        { -1.0f, 1.0f,-1.0f, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(0, 0, 255), },
        { 1.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(255, 0, 0), },
        { 1.0f, -1.0f, -1.0f, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(0, 0, 255), },

Advertisement

I want to know how to draw 20 triangular pyramids to the screen

Repeat the code for 1 pyramids 20 times, but of set each one by x (otherwise they will be drawn on top of each other)?

Use a for-loop where for each increment, you change the coordinates so that each pyramid is drawn at a certain distance away from the last. This will put them into a single row or column of pyrmaids.

If you wanted a pattern, try using a second for-loop nested in your first. The first can move the pyramids along the X-axis, then the second moves them on the Y-axis. This results in, for example. five triangles being drawn in a column, inner loop exits to outer loop, column start moves to the right. This is repeated until you have 20 drawn on the screen, in 4 columns of 5 pyramids.

Regards,

Stitchs.

am I on the right track with this code
        { x, -x, 0.0f, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(0, 255, 0), },
        { -x, x,-1.0f, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(0, 0, 255), },
        { x, x, 0.0f, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(255, 0, 0), },
        { x, -x, -1.0f, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(0, 0, 255), },

am I on the right track with this code

{ x, -x, 0.0f, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(0, 255, 0), },
        { -x, x,-1.0f, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(0, 0, 255), },
        { x, x, 0.0f, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(255, 0, 0), },
        { x, -x, -1.0f, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(0, 0, 255), },

Well,yes and no, the first 3 floats are X,Y and Z (i assume, sorry), this (im pretty sure) will create them in a diagonal pattern

for(float i; i <= (20*32); i+=32.0f){

{ -i, -1.0f, 0.0f,d3dcolor_xrgb(0,255,0),}

}

the loop increases by 32 each itteration, thus, the spacing between the pyramid will be 32px on the x axis

bare in mind its only an example :)

hopw that helps

You'll want to create a static model of your pyramid. That means no variables in the pyramid declaration. Once that's done you use a transform to place the pyramid where you want to render it in the world.

This process is described in lesson 5 on the site you're using.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!