The fibonacci numbers... and god?

Started by
27 comments, last by Khatharr 11 years ago

Hi, i was just looking at some video on youtube about the

">fibonacci sequence, and can't help to notice how people associate god with this.

Im not trying to start a flame war or anything, so please, keep it mature, but, in my opinion, the fact that everything in nature grow according to some mathematical formula only prove to me that god dosen't have anything to do with how, we, and many things in nature, are form and grow. It's nice to see that, even in biologie, mathematics still rules our existence.

I don't see how this is a "proof of god"... on the contrary, it should make us think that we might just be the product of million of years of evolution. Even our dna is shaped by this simple, yet powerfull formula...

Though?

Advertisement

It's not proof. The fact that the Fibonacci sequence pops up in nature has just given rise to a slew of theories and ideas that have nothing to do with proof or fact. The same applies to the Higgs boson, which is viewed (or at least was advertised extensively by the media for a while) as the physics equivalent of proof of God ("the god particle").

The "science fact" book The Field is a prime example of the kind of ignorance that this kind of misinterpretation can lead to (in this case of the quantum field theory). There's a fundamental symmetry in nature that people tend to misinterpret, because we don't really understand it.

Problem is, in many cases one can't definitively disprove these claims, which tends to make them stick, simply because they sound cooler than reality.

">fibonacci sequence, and can't help to notice how people associate god with this.
Im not trying to start a flame war or anything, so please, keep it mature, but, in my opinion, the fact that everything in nature grow according to some mathematical formula only prove to me that god dosen't have anything to do with how, we, and many things in nature, are form and grow. It's nice to see that, even in biologie, mathematics still rules our existence.

I don't see how this is a "proof of god"... on the contrary, it should make us think that we might just be the product of million of years of evolution. Even our dna is shaped by this simple, yet powerfull formula...

Though?Not God in a strict sense, but there are a number of rules in nature/universe that we tend to see over and over. I'd guess that there are "laws" that don't fit so much into science as they do into mathematics (statistics specifically).

Sometimes I'd like that some people just thought for a second "Gee, I might need a Physics Doctorate to understand this" or in this case "Gee, I might need a degree in Genetics to understand this"

I hold on to the idea that nothing is as simple as I might thinks it is, and if I think its simple, it means that I don't know enough of it.

That's my opinion on this sort of thing.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Fibonacci sequence describes number of pairs of rabbits which exist assuming they start breeding after 1 generation and there are no deaths

http://www.maths.surrey.ac.uk/hosted-sites/R.Knott/Fibonacci/fibrab.gif

Therefore, dogs can play tennis. QED.fibrab.gif

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

I think OP wants to know where the first two rabbits came from. Consult the biblical reference of your choice.
Evolution is nothing more than a mutated gene that fell in love with itself.

Fibonacci sequence describes number of pairs of rabbits which exist assuming they start breeding after 1 generation and there are no deaths

http://www.maths.surrey.ac.uk/hosted-sites/R.Knott/Fibonacci/fibrab.gif

Therefore, dogs can play tennis. QED.fibrab.gif

Though?

So let me get this straight...

You reject the idea "Math, therefore God."

Then you turn around and posit the idea "Math, therefore not God."

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Something like that yea...

i just started this topic for fun, just say what you think about it.

It's not just the fibonacci sequence, but also the fractals governing how everything look like that facinate me.

...snip...

So let me get this straight...

You reject the idea "Math, therefore God."

Then you turn around and posit the idea "Math, therefore not God."

where exactly is that "turning around"? if he's rejecting the idea of god in favor of math in both scenarios, isn't that staying on the same ideology concept?
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

It's not proof. The fact that the Fibonacci sequence pops up in nature has just given rise to a slew of theories and ideas that have nothing to do with proof or fact. The same applies to the Higgs boson, which is viewed (or at least was advertised extensively by the media for a while) as the physics equivalent of proof of God ("the god particle").

"The God particle" was a joke name, the name was never meant to be linked to God (other than it being goddamn hard to find / important). Anyone linking it to God is doing so based just on this joke name, which is entirely backwards.
It's the same with numerical patterns, they're starting at the wrong end, without understanding, which makes the pattern mysterious, then claim mystery = God... If you start from the bottom up, you see why the pattern emerges (such as the rabbits above, or the geometry of petals, or whatever) then you've got a logical and boring explanation for why you should see some pattern at a macro level, and there's no mystery beyond the psychology behind human proficiency of spotting patterns and searching for meaning in cooincidences...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement