999 things I've learned from past life (aka 999 things I miss)

Started by
7 comments, last by Paradigm Shifter 11 years ago

A list about little stuff that ain't around anymore, because life has moved on. We all have them.

I'll start. In no particular order:

1. progress bars (esp. while loading/installing/restoring the OS) are awesome, because they indicate the computer hasn't hung

2. simple yet challenging shoot-em-ups with solid gameplay and low poly worlds work surprisingly well. And they can run on integrated cards or, uhoh, in software.

3. life before smart phones was scarier, but so much more fun

4. HDD access lights are really useful, because they show when the OS has finished loading or is under a heavy disk load (why, hello thar, ultrabooks with SSD-s!)

5. there once used to be a time when news used to have actual substance and I felt like my opinion used to count

6. I thought (with some pride!) my generation used to be the rebellious one

Advertisement

irreversible, on 13 Apr 2013 - 07:11, said:
A list about little stuff that ain't around anymore, because life has moved on. We all have them.

I'll start. In no particular order:

1. progress bars (esp. while loading/installing/restoring the OS) are awesome, because they indicate the computer hasn't hung
2. simple yet challenging shoot-em-ups with solid gameplay and low poly worlds work surprisingly well. And they can run on integrated cards or, uhoh, in software.
3. life before smart phones was scarier, but so much more fun
4. HDD access lights are really useful, because they show when the OS has finished loading or is under a heavy disk load (why, hello thar, ultrabooks with SSD-s!)
5. there once used to be a time when news used to have actual substance and I felt like my opinion used to count
6. I thought (with some pride!) my generation used to be the rebellious one

Everyone always remembers the "good old days" but tend to forget that life still sucked then, as it does now. It's easy to think of the things in the past as being "better", but the reality is that it was just the same crap, served on a slightly different plate.

Sorry for kindof derailing this thread, but I just hate when people like to bring up the past like we were in some type of utopia, personally, I don't miss any of it.

also, #1, 2(not as much), 4, and 5 are all still around, or at least they are for me.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

Shush and just play along.

Oddly enough, i miss the late 80's computer era, the exciting feeling when playing with computer at that time was special, although i don't miss their processing power rolleyes.gif

I'll just say this.

1. Technologically we are improving.

2. Humanity wise we are not.

It's like being a spaceship in a space without reverse thruster. We gain speed but no way of slowing down.

And I missed the 80s. If there is a graph, I think we finally reach a balance there technology and humanity. Like a crossing between two line. Now the technology improves, but humanity isn't.

I'm waiting for the other 993 tips

The implication would be for everyone to continue the list.

9. Remember how much "funner" it was to find the person you were supposed to pick up in a car, back when we didn't have cell phones?

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

Socrates

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement