How would I get started with java and Libgdx?

Started by
8 comments, last by MrMaker 10 years, 11 months ago
So I want to get started with libgdx and java. I don't know java and have very basic knowledge of c# and c++. What kind of resources would you suggest to learn java than start jumping into Libgdx ( I heard it's a great framework). Also I am interested in developing for android and pc mainly 2d game development. Also what tools am I going to need geared towards this path. Any suggestions will be appreciated :D
Advertisement

Hi,

First of all if you have "basic" knowledge in c# or c++ I consider you have basic knowledge of programming at all.

Which means that your first steps should be done in the direction of learning advanced techniques of programming.

Which language your using is your choice but C# and Java are good beginner choices.

A typical roadmap would look like this.

Procedural Programming:
Learning about the Syntax and basic constructs of an programming language.

Object oriented Programming(OOP):

Learning about Objects, Inheritance and polymorphism.

Anything else:

Choose your route from here.

For libgdx you can use the javadoc or the official developer guide from badlogic games (https://code.google.com/p/libgdx/wiki/TableOfContents)

Best Regards

Follow my hobby projects:

Ognarion Commander (Java/LIBGDX): https://github.com/OlafVanSchlacht/ognarion-commander

Thanks.

Hey Guys my name is Mark.According to that topic i think that to able to understand the primary ideas in C++, a developer must have a good information of the primary language in object-oriented development.Object is the primary unit of object-oriented development.

For more knowing about C++ must visit that url:

cplusplus.com/files/tutorial.pdf

Ok. I bought SAMs teach yourself java in 21 days 6th edition. After I am done reading I want to get java a beginners guide or head first java. After that Effective java. Then for libgdx it uses OpenGL with java? So do I have to learn OpenGL or do you think they cover it in the books? Can you use libgdx without OpenGL? I plan on to use libgdx for ports of android, pc, and Linux then ios and osx. Is libgdx write once deploy all? Anyway thanks for the suggestions

LibGDX uses a JOGL, a java wrapper for OpenGL, under the hood. You don't need to know OpenGL programming to use LibGDX. You can use LibGDX's classes. Yes LibGDX can deploy to Android, iOS, and the desktop operating systems. Each project has a starter class that is linked to the core game code. All that is done under the hood.

Would it help like a significant amount to learn JOGL. Anyways thanks you have been a great help. Do you suggest some books I can use after effective Java to strengthen the skills in libgdx?

I haven't used straight JOGL before and I'm using LibGDX. Reading through the wiki and the LibGDX API would be a good start. If you get stuck the forums here or the badlogic forums are a great help. If you want to read about how the author, Mario Zechner, has gone through developing LibGDX and learn how he writes code you can check out his book Beginning Android Games.

Thanks for such a great book suggestion :D
How does libgdx with java compare to c# with XNA?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement