Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pointer stuff...again

This topic is 5901 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I have a class like this: class A { public: int *num; public: A(){num = new int[1];} ~A(){if(num){delete[] num;}} }; And a little funktion: A* func(int &size) { size = 1; A *a; a = new A[size]; a[0].num[0] = 99; return a; } And a little program: int main() { int size; A *a,*a_tmp; a_tmp = new A[100]; a_tmp = func(size); a = new A[size]; memcpy(a,a_tmp,sizeof(A)*size); delete[] a_tmp; } This is just an example..as u can see its not very useful. The thing is am trying to clean up the memoryleaks in my program and I cant figure out how I can do this in a nice way... If I delete the temp pointer in this example I lose all data in pointer "a" too. So the question is how can i copy the data in one pointer to another like in the example and then delete the first one. Edited by - RZ on October 21, 2001 5:43:22 PM

memcpy (and the compiler generated assignment operator) only creates a shallow copy of an object. This means that when you copy a_tmp[0] to a[0] the ''num''-pointers in both will point to the same memory location. You should create a deep copy. the easiest way is probably to define an assignment operator for your class, and avoid using memcpy to copy instances of it.

e.g. in the declaration of A you put something like:

A& operator = (const A& a)
{
*num = *a.num; // num always points to 1 element in this example

};

then instead of memcpy(a, a_tmp, sizeof(A)*size) you would write something like:

for (int i = 0; i < size; ++i)
{
a[i] = a_tmp[i];
};

This was a very simple example, and I probably forgot something. If you have a C++ book, look up ''operator overloading'' in it.

Thanks for the reply!

I was hoping that you could do this without for loops
but I guess i have to use them...

Edited by - RZ on October 21, 2001 8:06:21 PM