err.. a Win-related question

Started by
18 comments, last by glGreenhorn 22 years, 5 months ago
I have to give this site an awful lot of credit! Just now did I browse through the posts and witnessed the fine percentage of them that get a satisfying answer!! Anyway, does anyone have an idea how to access the sort of Windows control you see when you choose advanced options in Unreal (for example). It looks cool and it's useful, too. Thanks a million! Oh yea, I forgot - I'm using BC5.02 Edited by - glgreenhorn on October 21, 2001 6:42:50 PM
Advertisement
For that you need to learn Win32 programming.

I consider it to be the most annoying, boring, and repetitive thing about programming for Windows. Microsoft are the absolute worst API designers (don''t get me started on DirectX...).

Win32 is the native Windows 9x language. For some reason Microsoft happened to make the win32 API take a whole page of code to display a simple window.
Bring back Workbench and MUI :/

----
Gareth Williams
gareth@fatweb.org
----
----Gareth Williamsgareth@fatweb.orgwww.fatweb.org----
> For some reason Microsoft happened to make the win32 API take a
> whole page of code to display a simple window.

Oh, if you want to do a dialog like the extended-options one in Unreal, then it''s gonna take alot more than a single page of code...

Unfortunately, Terran is right, you''ll have to learn Win32, and you will hate it (because it is horrible), but it''s the only way displaying dialogs under Windows. There are some nice Win32 tutorials, you should have a look at them, but _please_ don''t go at MSDN or something like that, or you''ll get traumatized for the rest of your life...

Lol, I now feel REALLLLY self-confident Thanksalot!!!

And why do you think they (Microsoft) are like that, Terran - they''re evil, that''s all. And as to programming - why do you think Win98 crashed when it was first introduced to public...

Ok, enough chit-chat - gonna go and read some Win32 tuts now (hehe, here''s where you laugh)...
whoa... At least i''m know now that i''m not the only one that found the MSDN Win32 crap very difficult to learn from
For a less-scary one try http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/ - that''s the one that calmed the fear in me
-=aSe=-
On 2nd thought - I think I will return to plan A. Since I really do not have the time to go through all the new code and start learning something that is half alien to me - WinAPI -, what (file) format could I possibly find such a (FREE,UNCOPYRIGHTED) custom control in on the Net? One possibility, I know, is VBXs, but most of those are locked from unauthorised users and I don''t want to pirate or anything, I just need to use a copy of it

Keep cool!
Hey, what's up with the Win32 bashing? It's not THAT bad...
And about MSDN, yes, it is hard to learn from, but it's great later on, when you need to find functions to do certain stuff...

I'd recommend getting a book like Tricks of the windows game programming gurus, or find someplace on the net that shows you the basics of win32 programming. Just how to open a window. Once you know that and really UNDERSTAND it, it's not very hard to do more advanced stuff. Just remember, everything is a window, they basicly works in same way...

And remember: The MSDN is you friend...

Edited by - Rudan on October 23, 2001 7:51:15 AM
-----------------------------Reporter: Are they slow-moving, chief?Sheriff: Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up.-Night of the living dead
I agree with Rudan. It''s easy for guys like us because i personally, didnt even know opengl existed, and found myself playing around with win32 code and figured out what each function did. Sure, it takes way more than 2 hours to get used to it, its the api to an entire operating system, not the api of something like a simple graphics rendering library.

Quit bashing windows, nearly everyone uses it, who cares about the people who made it, it works good enough for me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement