Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vorador

Is AP calculus worth taking ?

I think this is probably the right forum to ask this question, so here I go. I am currently a junior in high school and I am really thinking about taking AP calculus ab next school year. However, I am wondering if its really worth taking over honors Calculus. I have heard that it saves you money on college, which does sound good. Though, I am thinking is it really worth the effort? I mean it will allow me to skip a year of it in college, but would I learn more by taking it in college from the beginning ? Any opinions would greatly be appreciated. ---------------------------- ---------------------------- "This just goes to show that there are only two kinds of people in this world, stupid people... and me." Edited by - Vorador on October 21, 2001 7:18:23 PM

You should talk to a few of the people who took it the year before... I know my AP social studies class is easy BUT the teacher is such a shit head she has never given a grade higher than a B-.

Make sure your teacher is not like that.

The course itself is worth it IF you think you are capable of passing it.

You should get a book on calculus over the summer and read it just so you know a few things about it beforehand.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

it depends what you get on the ap test. you only get credit if you get a certain grade and this grade depends on what college you are planning on attending. it also depends on the teacher. i am taking ap calcalus ab this year and i enjoy it very much. i find it very challenging. my teacher is a good teacher and knows what he is talking about.

I''m taking the class this year, and I''d say take it over honors. Even if you decide to not take the AP test at the end, you at least do have that option at all times by taking the class. Other than that, there''s probably not much difference between AP and honors.

Free Speech, Free Sklyarov
Fight the unconstitutional DMCA.

Commander M

just remember, to get college credit for it, you have to take the AP test at the end, and get a certain grade on it (which varies from college to college)... i thought it was worth it, not because of the money, but because i didn''t have to take calculus in college, and i could spend more time with straight-up CS classes and bong hits.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

I am fairly confident I can pass it. I have taught myself a great deal of math on my own (up to basic differential calc). However, I have never taken an ap class before so I don't really know what to expect (only taken honors). If it helps I am planning on going to Rensselaer because of its physics program. Thx for the responses so far.

edit:Also,if any you guys know of any other colleges with good physics programs please let me know.
----------------------------
"This just goes to show that there are only two kinds of people in this world, stupid people... and me."

Edited by - Vorador on October 21, 2001 8:03:53 PM

find out what AP grade you need at that college to get credit for it.
your grade in the class, as well as how well it is taught to you, is based completely on the teacher of the AP class (they have standard stuff they must teach, but some teachers are good at it and some aren''t)... if you are good at picking up math on your own, you could take the class taught by a lousy teacher, and still do good on the exam (although who knows what the grade will be for the class)...

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

quote:
Original post by Vorador
I am fairly confident I can pass it. I have taught myself a great deal of math on my own (up to basic differential calc).

You shouldn''t have any problem then.

quote:

However, I have never taken an ap class before so I don''t really know what to expect (only taken honors).
If it helps I am planning on going to Rensselaer because of its physics program. Thx for the responses so far.

If you want physics, it will be well worth it. You probably want your calculus credits as early as possible, since so much of physics involves calculus.

quote:

edit:Also,if any you guys know of any other colleges with good physics programs please let me know.

A friend of mine graduated in physics from the Univeristy of Michigan, he says it was a pretty good program. If you want a list of the top physics programs in the country, go to usnews.com and check their physics rankings. (Probably will be under graduate programs.)

Guest Anonymous Poster
Take AP calculus, and all the other ap courses you can. just when scheduling comes around for college next year, be careful. They will try to make you retake stuff or do their sequence, so you have to know what you have credit for and what you want to take.

I would recommend taking the AP Calculus. If you have any idea where you''re going to college then you should look at what credit they actually give for the AB and BC tests. When I went to college they only gave me credit for Calc 1 even though I had 5''s on both the AB and BC tests. If possible you may consider taking Calculus at a local college and get high school credit for it.

AP Calculus is definitely worth it. I had AP Calc in high school which got me out of Calc 1 in college. And another benefit was that for Calc2, i already knew half of that course. Even if you don''t get the AP credit, the college courses will be much easier.

I took AP Calc in HS years ago. Despite having he lowest grade in the class C+, I did score a 5 on test. It got me out of calculus in college, so it was well worth it.

I say take it if you can. Push yourself. You figure you can''t hurt yourself by taking it. If you do well on the exam, you can probably test out of some college credit. If not, you got a better education. No harm, no foul.

Go for it.

Rube.

I''d take it but I''d still take it in college again. High school classes (even AP ones) are way more easy than those at the college level.

ECKILLER

I''m from another country (the netherlands) and we dont have such things like AP Calculus and honors

Can someone tell me what they mean??

I took AP Physics in high school, and was able to place out of the first physics course in college as a result. I also took AP Calculus, AP Chemistry and AP English. I only took the Physics and Chemistry AP exams, and only placed out of the physics.. Two things to think about:

1) You not only have to take the AP course, but you also have to take the AP exam and pass with a high score to place out of the corresponding college course.

2) It may not save you much money because you may be likely to just fill in another course to replace the one you placed out of.

The big benefit I see is just that it gives you a nice headstart on learning the subject in depth. Your grades in college might be better as a result, and to me that is more important than saving a bit of money.

If you''re going to an out-of-state or out-of-country University, then you might choose not substitute a new course for the one you place out of---specifically so you can save on the tuition money. You still get the benefit of having studied the material before!

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.

quote:
Original post by Icarus3
I''m from another country (the netherlands) and we dont have such things like AP Calculus and honors

Can someone tell me what they mean??

"AP" means "Advanced Placement." Its a high school course that is at the college level. For advanced honor students, the AP courses are an opportunity to learn college-level material early. If the student''s grade on a final AP exam test is sufficiently high, the AP course can be applied to a degree program as if the student had taken the equivalent college course---so that the student doesn''t have to take the course in college.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist

I''m happy to see posts like this one in the Math & Physics forum. I believe this is an excellent place to solicit advice on continuing education!

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist

I''d say take it, since it''ll make college courses easier--trust me. Plus, you may get college credit if you do well.

I learned more in my AP Comp Sci class, than my college one. I knew everything and more than what they taught in CSE 143 : Intro programming 2 (basically C++ and OOP).

As for calculus, take it! Around here (UW), the 100 level calc classes are "weed-out" classes, so they are bloody difficult. Any credit you can get to skip a class is good.

As others have mentioned though, it''s more important to get the grade than the credit. So taking a class you already have credit for (and know very well because of AP) is a good idea. It''s like an automatic 4.0.

quote:
Original post by Drizzt DoUrden
I know my AP social studies class is easy BUT the teacher is such a shit head she has never given a grade higher than a B-.

I don''t know about you, but my AP US History class was very hard, and the real test was even harder! But I passed the test though. (I think I got a 4).

Jinushaun
Nation Leprechaun

Just repeating what other people have said, but DO check RPI''s (and other schools you''re considering) policies for AP credit. You may find that they give no credit for certain classes (you might get credit for BC calc but not AB), or that it depends on your major/college. Also, I don''t know how common this is, but at Cornell even though I got a 5 on the Calc AB test I still had to take a Cornell-made test to get credit.

Thank you for all the help guys. I have decided that the best course of action is to take the course. The advantages outway any disadvantages to taking it (not that I can see any). Since I enjoy math I will probably enjoy the course. I am going to take 1 or 2 other ap courses, but I don''t think they will probably be all that difficult. Thanks again.

PS: ohh ya, would it be a good idea to take ap physics concurently with ap calc ? Thanks again.

"This just goes to show that there are only two kinds of people in this world, stupid people... and me."

I''m taking AP Physics this year too

Honestly the only drawback for that is that my teacher can''t really teach all that well. He''s cool and all, but not the most wonderful man at getting ideas out

Anyway, it''s actually advantageous to take AP Physics and AP Calculus concurrently because you''ll learn stuff in physics that you''ll do a little later in calc and vice versa, so each will make more sense.

Free Speech, Free Sklyarov
Fight the unconstitutional DMCA.

Commander M

I took AP Calc, AP English, AP History, and C at the local community college. I was practically a sophomore when I started at Lawrence Tech. We (me & some of my friends) convinced our councilors to let us take AP History in 10th which was nice because we didn’t have to sit through the same history crap for another two years. Was it just my school system, or did everyone else sit through the same history class year after year after year? Taking AP English and AP History at the same time could be difficult. At other high schools in my district the AP History teachers weren’t up to the task – those students didn’t even cover half the book and did poorly on the AP test.

The only thing I regret, is NOT taking the AP Calc BC test. The AB test is the equivalent to Calc 1 (i.e. lots of derivatives), and the BC test is Calc 2, (i.e. lots of integrals). I was very bored in Calc2 at Lawrence.