Is AP calculus worth taking ?

Started by
21 comments, last by Vorador 22 years, 5 months ago
I think this is probably the right forum to ask this question, so here I go. I am currently a junior in high school and I am really thinking about taking AP calculus ab next school year. However, I am wondering if its really worth taking over honors Calculus. I have heard that it saves you money on college, which does sound good. Though, I am thinking is it really worth the effort? I mean it will allow me to skip a year of it in college, but would I learn more by taking it in college from the beginning ? Any opinions would greatly be appreciated. ---------------------------- ---------------------------- "This just goes to show that there are only two kinds of people in this world, stupid people... and me." Edited by - Vorador on October 21, 2001 7:18:23 PM
--------------------------------------------------------"This just goes to show that there are only two kinds of people in this world, stupid people... and me."
Advertisement
You should talk to a few of the people who took it the year before... I know my AP social studies class is easy BUT the teacher is such a shit head she has never given a grade higher than a B-.

Make sure your teacher is not like that.

The course itself is worth it IF you think you are capable of passing it.

You should get a book on calculus over the summer and read it just so you know a few things about it beforehand.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
it depends what you get on the ap test. you only get credit if you get a certain grade and this grade depends on what college you are planning on attending. it also depends on the teacher. i am taking ap calcalus ab this year and i enjoy it very much. i find it very challenging. my teacher is a good teacher and knows what he is talking about.
I''m taking the class this year, and I''d say take it over honors. Even if you decide to not take the AP test at the end, you at least do have that option at all times by taking the class. Other than that, there''s probably not much difference between AP and honors.

Free Speech, Free Sklyarov
Fight the unconstitutional DMCA.

Commander M
just remember, to get college credit for it, you have to take the AP test at the end, and get a certain grade on it (which varies from college to college)... i thought it was worth it, not because of the money, but because i didn''t have to take calculus in college, and i could spend more time with straight-up CS classes and bong hits.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
I am fairly confident I can pass it. I have taught myself a great deal of math on my own (up to basic differential calc). However, I have never taken an ap class before so I don't really know what to expect (only taken honors). If it helps I am planning on going to Rensselaer because of its physics program. Thx for the responses so far.

edit:Also,if any you guys know of any other colleges with good physics programs please let me know.
----------------------------
----------------------------
"This just goes to show that there are only two kinds of people in this world, stupid people... and me."

Edited by - Vorador on October 21, 2001 8:03:53 PM
--------------------------------------------------------"This just goes to show that there are only two kinds of people in this world, stupid people... and me."
find out what AP grade you need at that college to get credit for it.
your grade in the class, as well as how well it is taught to you, is based completely on the teacher of the AP class (they have standard stuff they must teach, but some teachers are good at it and some aren''t)... if you are good at picking up math on your own, you could take the class taught by a lousy teacher, and still do good on the exam (although who knows what the grade will be for the class)...

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
quote:Original post by Vorador
I am fairly confident I can pass it. I have taught myself a great deal of math on my own (up to basic differential calc).

You shouldn''t have any problem then.

quote:
However, I have never taken an ap class before so I don''t really know what to expect (only taken honors).
If it helps I am planning on going to Rensselaer because of its physics program. Thx for the responses so far.

If you want physics, it will be well worth it. You probably want your calculus credits as early as possible, since so much of physics involves calculus.

quote:
edit:Also,if any you guys know of any other colleges with good physics programs please let me know.

A friend of mine graduated in physics from the Univeristy of Michigan, he says it was a pretty good program. If you want a list of the top physics programs in the country, go to usnews.com and check their physics rankings. (Probably will be under graduate programs.)

AP anything is "worth taking". I had AP chem and also some AP programming credit, but I had to take Calc in college. it SUCKED!!

-M
Take AP calculus, and all the other ap courses you can. just when scheduling comes around for college next year, be careful. They will try to make you retake stuff or do their sequence, so you have to know what you have credit for and what you want to take.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement