Is AP calculus worth taking ?

Started by
21 comments, last by Vorador 22 years, 6 months ago
I would recommend taking the AP Calculus. If you have any idea where you''re going to college then you should look at what credit they actually give for the AB and BC tests. When I went to college they only gave me credit for Calc 1 even though I had 5''s on both the AB and BC tests. If possible you may consider taking Calculus at a local college and get high school credit for it.
Advertisement
AP Calculus is definitely worth it. I had AP Calc in high school which got me out of Calc 1 in college. And another benefit was that for Calc2, i already knew half of that course. Even if you don''t get the AP credit, the college courses will be much easier.
I took AP Calc in HS years ago. Despite having he lowest grade in the class C+, I did score a 5 on test. It got me out of calculus in college, so it was well worth it.

I say take it if you can. Push yourself. You figure you can''t hurt yourself by taking it. If you do well on the exam, you can probably test out of some college credit. If not, you got a better education. No harm, no foul.

Go for it.

Rube.
I''d take it but I''d still take it in college again. High school classes (even AP ones) are way more easy than those at the college level.

ECKILLER
ECKILLER
I''m from another country (the netherlands) and we dont have such things like AP Calculus and honors

Can someone tell me what they mean??
I took AP Physics in high school, and was able to place out of the first physics course in college as a result. I also took AP Calculus, AP Chemistry and AP English. I only took the Physics and Chemistry AP exams, and only placed out of the physics.. Two things to think about:

1) You not only have to take the AP course, but you also have to take the AP exam and pass with a high score to place out of the corresponding college course.

2) It may not save you much money because you may be likely to just fill in another course to replace the one you placed out of.

The big benefit I see is just that it gives you a nice headstart on learning the subject in depth. Your grades in college might be better as a result, and to me that is more important than saving a bit of money.

If you''re going to an out-of-state or out-of-country University, then you might choose not substitute a new course for the one you place out of---specifically so you can save on the tuition money. You still get the benefit of having studied the material before!

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
quote:Original post by Icarus3
I''m from another country (the netherlands) and we dont have such things like AP Calculus and honors

Can someone tell me what they mean??

"AP" means "Advanced Placement." Its a high school course that is at the college level. For advanced honor students, the AP courses are an opportunity to learn college-level material early. If the student''s grade on a final AP exam test is sufficiently high, the AP course can be applied to a degree program as if the student had taken the equivalent college course---so that the student doesn''t have to take the course in college.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
I''m happy to see posts like this one in the Math & Physics forum. I believe this is an excellent place to solicit advice on continuing education!

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
I''d say take it, since it''ll make college courses easier--trust me. Plus, you may get college credit if you do well.

I learned more in my AP Comp Sci class, than my college one. I knew everything and more than what they taught in CSE 143 : Intro programming 2 (basically C++ and OOP).

As for calculus, take it! Around here (UW), the 100 level calc classes are "weed-out" classes, so they are bloody difficult. Any credit you can get to skip a class is good.

As others have mentioned though, it''s more important to get the grade than the credit. So taking a class you already have credit for (and know very well because of AP) is a good idea. It''s like an automatic 4.0.

quote:Original post by Drizzt DoUrden
I know my AP social studies class is easy BUT the teacher is such a shit head she has never given a grade higher than a B-.

I don''t know about you, but my AP US History class was very hard, and the real test was even harder! But I passed the test though. (I think I got a 4).

Jinushaun
Nation Leprechaun
Just repeating what other people have said, but DO check RPI''s (and other schools you''re considering) policies for AP credit. You may find that they give no credit for certain classes (you might get credit for BC calc but not AB), or that it depends on your major/college. Also, I don''t know how common this is, but at Cornell even though I got a 5 on the Calc AB test I still had to take a Cornell-made test to get credit.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement