Starting a FPS game ideas on where to begin?

Started by
16 comments, last by SnakeM120 11 years ago

Hi ,

I want to create a good FPS game in 3D in home environment and I wondering how I should start with it ? I don't have any experience either in Programming , Modelling textures or animations. I was thinking about Unity 3D because I think I should start with it , is it good idea ? I don't want start with for example programs like FPS Creator because that type of programs are just like "LEGO Programs" because you must just Put everything in right place and compile and usually with that type of programs there are many models and textures are included. So guys any idea how unexperienced Being should start making a game ?

Thanks

Any reply is appreciated

MikeTheBigBoos

Advertisement

Start with simple 2D, Learn to at least breathe before you run a marathon.

I don't have any experience either in Programming , Modelling textures or animations.

So, you want to make a 3D FPS? with no programming experience without using FPS Maker? my advice ... Dont'.

Start with a 2D game, make a pacman clone, Tetris clone, Breakout etc. etc.

Read this:

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/your-first-step-to-game-development-starts-here-r2976

And

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/pac-man-zero-to-game-r2963

An other option is to modify an existing game (preferable a FPS game) to your liking. This is quite common, games like Counter Strike, Team Fortress or Natural Selection starts all as mods and even today mods like DayZ are really popular. The benefit is, that you already have a working basic game at hands, you can use art and still you can learn to script your own game, see how game engines works etc.

Start with simple 2D, Learn to at least breathe before you run a marathon.

I don't have any experience either in Programming , Modelling textures or animations.

So, you want to make a 3D FPS? with no programming experience without using FPS Maker? my advice ... Dont'.

Start with a 2D game, make a pacman clone, Tetris clone, Breakout etc. etc.

Read this:

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/your-first-step-to-game-development-starts-here-r2976

And

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/pac-man-zero-to-game-r2963

Thanks for advice that pac-man looks very interesting I will look at it closer when I come back to home.

An other option is to modify an existing game (preferable a FPS game) to your liking. This is quite common, games like Counter Strike, Team Fortress or Natural Selection starts all as mods and even today mods like DayZ are really popular. The benefit is, that you already have a working basic game at hands, you can use art and still you can learn to script your own game, see how game engines works etc.

That's good idea but which game is very popular and in the same time easy to mod that is the question btw without modelling and art skills I don't think I will be able to create mods hmm ...

without modelling and art skills I don't think I will be able to create mods hmm ...

Without those skills you won't be able to make one from scratch or through a middleware engine either.

Edit:

I think with mods you can use the existing artwork and models. Just create your own level/environment designs and game logic. I'm not sure of the licencing involved with mods.

If you do not have programming experience, I suggest you learn and practice coding. Because if you have programming experience, you have full control of the way your game looks and plays out using code. Be immersed in it and start thinking about it. Start simple. You will later find out even a simple software like an arcade shooter is comprised of a lot of programming concepts pack together.So I would imagine a FPS being a bit more advanced.

I know what it is like to just be ambitious and get to the good stuff. Because I thought the way you did a little over 3 years ago. But you should treat making a game like a craft and a process. It is definitely not an over-night thing but a process that takes time and much more effort of thinking. You do not even need to memorize anything. All you really need to do is understand and then you will remember it.

I suggest 2D games before 3D games. Good luck.

Where to begin? To make games, you need to learn programming, you must understand programming concepts and good software principles. This professor from Stanford University is pretty good. It is how I first learned programming. Everything talked in that class is so important to programming. Or you can buy a book that is well-written by the author on the game programming and general programming. The most important is practice and understanding coding.

If you do not have programming experience, I suggest you learn and practice coding. Because if you have programming experience, you have full control of the way your game looks and plays out using code. Be immersed in it and start thinking about it. Start simple. You will later find out even a simple software like an arcade shooter is comprised of a lot of programming concepts pack together.So I would imagine a FPS being a bit more advanced.

I know what it is like to just be ambitious and get to the good stuff. Because I thought the way you did a little over 3 years ago. But you should treat making a game like a craft and a process. It is definitely not an over-night thing but a process that takes time and much more effort of thinking. You do not even need to memorize anything. All you really need to do is understand and then you will remember it.

I suggest 2D games before 3D games. Good luck.

Where to begin? To make games, you need to learn programming, you must understand programming concepts and good software principles. This professor from Stanford University is pretty good. It is how I first learned programming. Everything talked in that class is so important to programming. Or you can buy a book that is well-written by the author on the game programming and general programming. The most important is practice and understanding coding.

Yeah so you suggest something easiest to start with like mini mario or pac-man game ? Yeah I know but many people telling me to start with 2D where I would rather to start with 3D sad.png

The whole process of making the game I treats like learning something new for experience and fun.

What do you mean by memorizing ?

On the beginning I was thinking about Unity 3D because it's already have some tools , ready game engine and it's easy to use and learn because on the internet you can find many ready scripts/models and tutorials to start with.

Thanks for the Video from Youtube it's very interesting and I will watch it.

Yeah I know but many people telling me to start with 2D where I would rather to start with 3D sad.png

Well you can start with 3D, but with no Programming experience, you will get lost in a matter of seconds.

To make a 3D Game from scratch, (with no programming experiance) you need to Learn:

1/ Your Programming Language

2/ Common Programming Practices (Algorithm Design, Optimization, Object oriented Design)

3/ How to work with a 3D API (Such as DirectX, Ogre3D, CryEngine etc. etc. which in-itself is .. not a matter of overnight reading)

4/ To program with Shaders(HLSL) (to work with Lighting, Bump mapping etc.)

5/ How 3D Animation works (Keyframes etc, probally learn a 3D Designer package like blender)

6/ and probably some more i forget tongue.png

1 and 2 are key to both 2D and 3D, but the rest are 3D only, to learn a 2D API like SDL, SFML or XNA you just need to follow some tutorials and make some images in Paint (which can just be rectangles)

I can tell you from personal experience, i started with 3D game programming, and although I had a working 3D game at the end of it, i was none the wiser on HOW or WHY it worked, just that it worked. When i started programming with XNA in 2D, i started to understand how everything worked, and my design patterns got much better.

I also realized that the largest stumbling block of 3D games is this: Work with what you can do, I am s**t at art so, and as such cannot make 3D models, you also have no experience with 3D modeling so i seriously suggest putting 3D on a back-burner and learn 2D Games, while learning to makes 3D Models. if you are serious about learning game development, then Start off making 2D games and work your way up to 3D development. smile.png

Yeah I know but many people telling me to start with 2D where I would rather to start with 3D sad.png

Well you can start with 3D, but with no Programming experience, you will get lost in a matter of seconds.

To make a 3D Game from scratch, (with no programming experiance) you need to Learn:

1/ Your Programming Language

2/ Common Programming Practices (Algorithm Design, Optimization, Object oriented Design)

3/ How to work with a 3D API (Such as DirectX, Ogre3D, CryEngine etc. etc. which in-itself is .. not a matter of overnight reading)

4/ To program with Shaders(HLSL) (to work with Lighting, Bump mapping etc.)

5/ How 3D Animation works (Keyframes etc, probally learn a 3D Designer package like blender)

6/ and probably some more i forget tongue.png

1 and 2 are key to both 2D and 3D, but the rest are 3D only, to learn a 2D API like SDL, SFML or XNA you just need to follow some tutorials and make some images in Paint (which can just be rectangles)

I can tell you from personal experience, i started with 3D game programming, and although I had a working 3D game at the end of it, i was none the wiser on HOW or WHY it worked, just that it worked. When i started programming with XNA in 2D, i started to understand how everything worked, and my design patterns got much better.

I also realized that the largest stumbling block of 3D games is this: Work with what you can do, I am s**t at art so, and as such cannot make 3D models, you also have no experience with 3D modeling so i seriously suggest putting 3D on a back-burner and learn 2D Games, while learning to makes 3D Models. if you are serious about learning game development, then Start off making 2D games and work your way up to 3D development. smile.png

Yeah I know but I don't know why people telling me that making a game or learning can't take overnight which I understand and I ready to sacrifice a lot of time into learning how to make a game. Ok If I want to start with 2D how I start ? I have already links from you but is there any like 2D Engine like Unity or something ? or I just need to do everything from the scratch for example in C++ (Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition) ?

Thanks

have already links from you but is there any like 2D Engine like Unity or something ? or I just need to do everything from the scratch for example in C++ (Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition) ?

Thanks

Well that really depends, What language do you want to use? this is a big(ish) decision. and personally i would say Give C# a go. XNA (or MOnoGame) can handle 2D and 3D Games Very well, and also both support 3D Very well too.

You can find out about these two by googleing XNA or MonoGame.

You might want to start by learning a bit about c# as a language, and then follow tutorials on XNA/MonoGame.

Like:http://http://www.riemers.net/ his tutorials While for a slightly older version of XNA are still relevant.

Theere are probally hundred more on google so i say look around, and read some of the "For Beginner" articles on this site :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement