Starting a FPS game ideas on where to begin?

Started by
16 comments, last by SnakeM120 11 years ago

If you do not have programming experience, I suggest you learn and practice coding. Because if you have programming experience, you have full control of the way your game looks and plays out using code. Be immersed in it and start thinking about it. Start simple. You will later find out even a simple software like an arcade shooter is comprised of a lot of programming concepts pack together.So I would imagine a FPS being a bit more advanced.

I know what it is like to just be ambitious and get to the good stuff. Because I thought the way you did a little over 3 years ago. But you should treat making a game like a craft and a process. It is definitely not an over-night thing but a process that takes time and much more effort of thinking. You do not even need to memorize anything. All you really need to do is understand and then you will remember it.

I suggest 2D games before 3D games. Good luck.

Where to begin? To make games, you need to learn programming, you must understand programming concepts and good software principles. This professor from Stanford University is pretty good. It is how I first learned programming. Everything talked in that class is so important to programming. Or you can buy a book that is well-written by the author on the game programming and general programming. The most important is practice and understanding coding.

Yeah so you suggest something easiest to start with like mini mario or pac-man game ? Yeah I know but many people telling me to start with 2D where I would rather to start with 3D sad.png

The whole process of making the game I treats like learning something new for experience and fun.

What do you mean by memorizing ?

On the beginning I was thinking about Unity 3D because it's already have some tools , ready game engine and it's easy to use and learn because on the internet you can find many ready scripts/models and tutorials to start with.

Thanks for the Video from Youtube it's very interesting and I will watch it.

I highly advise you to not only watch it but take notes and start coding along what the professor is saying because executing the code also plays a big role in learning on top of understanding the material without code execution. Understand everything in that video and code everything in that video.

mini mario and pacman is not easy if you are just starting programming. The project scope is far too large for a beginner to handle. What I mean is a lot of algorithmic problem solving. You will need to learn and understand graphics programming which requires knowledge in general programming. The codebase for the game can be done and manageable if you have prior general programming experience and understand how to structure code which is why you should delve into general programming experience first if you do not have such experience.

Making a video game is all about being creative and thinking and training both areas of your brain. Very much like programming experience. Ask yourself a lot of questions along the way while learning. The key thing is to do your homework which means: start problem solving simple and basic stuff by yourself. Because the complex stuff is all made up of the simple stuff. Do not fall behind and most certainly do not skip chapters or lectures. If you are stuck, you can ask us but be sure to take the time to question and put comments in your code when things do not work in your code.

I only have 3 months of game programming experience not including the background in programming experience. I can say for sure it takes time, planning, dedication, passion, motivation, perseverance and research of new techniques and a sense of project scope. Making a video game takes a lot of planning(have a paper and pencil handy to keep track of things going on) especially making a menu system and a health system (it's a great idea to keep track of fixing the bugs in your program and prior knowledge of general programming(algorithmic problem solving techniques for anything that involves moving characters and animation) and GUI concepts is needed for any GUI component-based system.

One thing to bear in mind: Just start general programming! Don't give up and appreciate the programs you create! Just worry about yourself. Be yourself and do not compare your program to the retail games sold on shelf. There is a reason why these games can be made because it requires more than one person and a disciplined in many areas. I can assure the things you learn in general programming will help you a lot if you decide to learn graphics and GUI. Also treat programming as a tool and a problem solving idea. This is why I recommend you to start with general programming experience. Experiment with code. Try why this work and why this does not. Programming is also a puzzle. One way to learn programming is to relate the things in programming to your everyday life and you will find it so much easier to learn!

If you work with a video game without programming experience, you will not understand and focus on the big picture of programming and ultimately lose appreciation on the subject. A program(a video game being one example) is made up of algorithms and data structures. What I mean is to NOT memorize your way through learning programming because it is not the way programming works. You need to understand the ideas and concepts. Work with what you know and work your way up. If you do not understand how and why the code works, ask us.

Edit: The reason why video game is not an over-night thing is because there is a lot of questions to consider in making your game like pacman. How are you going to set up the screen for your game, put your image on screen, handle the animations for your image, test for collision between to objects, make pacman eat a pellet, setting up the pellets on the screen, let the game keep track of score, make the ghost move and haunt pacman down and map loading? There's probably something I am forgetting but hopefully you get a sense of what you need to have written down on paper before making even a game like pacman.

I never used Unity but if you find it easy. You can use it.

Advertisement

Starting with 3d would be great and all but literally... you just can't.. unless you have some secret super powers..

Good places to start :

Python - pyGame - http://www.pygame.org/download.shtml

C# with monogame - http://www.monogame.net/

Java with JGame - http://www.13thmonkey.org/~boris/jgame/

I suggest these languages first - you can go in to c++ if you want but it will take you a lot longer to get a game up and running

you can use a game creating kit too.. like http://ethanonengine.com/ but from your previous posts im guessing you not in to that..

I think it's fine if you dive right in to programming with the goal to make a small scoped simple game - a game is good motivation

Just please.. keep the scope very small and concept simple... if you make it too crazy you'll just get burnt out/overwhelmed and take

the risk of abandoning the whole thing

good luck though

If you do not have programming experience, I suggest you learn and practice coding. Because if you have programming experience, you have full control of the way your game looks and plays out using code. Be immersed in it and start thinking about it. Start simple. You will later find out even a simple software like an arcade shooter is comprised of a lot of programming concepts pack together.So I would imagine a FPS being a bit more advanced.

I know what it is like to just be ambitious and get to the good stuff. Because I thought the way you did a little over 3 years ago. But you should treat making a game like a craft and a process. It is definitely not an over-night thing but a process that takes time and much more effort of thinking. You do not even need to memorize anything. All you really need to do is understand and then you will remember it.

Where to begin? To make games, you need to learn programming, you must understand programming concepts and good software principles. This professor from Stanford University is pretty good. It is how I first learned programming. Everything talked in that class is so important to programming. Or you can buy a book that is well-written by the author on the game programming and general programming. The most important is practice and understanding coding.

Yeah so you suggest something easiest to start with like mini mario or pac-man game ? Yeah I know but many people telling me to start with 2D where I would rather to start with 3D sad.png
The whole process of making the game I treats like learning something new for experience and fun.
On the beginning I was thinking about Unity 3D because it's already have some tools , ready game engine and it's easy to use and learn because on the internet you can find many ready scripts/models and tutorials to start with.
I highly advise you to not only watch it but take notes and start coding along what the professor is saying because executing the code also plays a big role in learning on top of understanding the material without code execution. Understand everything in that video and code everything in that video.

mini mario and pacman is not easy if you are just starting programming. The project scope is far too large for a beginner to handle. What I mean is a lot of algorithmic problem solving. You will need to learn and understand graphics programming which requires knowledge in general programming. The codebase for the game can be done and manageable if you have prior general programming experience and understand how to structure code which is why you should delve into general programming experience first if you do not have such experience.

Making a video game is all about being creative and thinking and training both areas of your brain. Very much like programming experience. Ask yourself a lot of questions along the way while learning. The key thing is to do your homework which means: start problem solving simple and basic stuff by yourself. Because the complex stuff is all made up of the simple stuff. Do not fall behind and most certainly do not skip chapters or lectures. If you are stuck, you can ask us but be sure to take the time to question and put comments in your code when things do not work in your code.

I only have 3 months of game programming experience not including the background in programming experience. I can say for sure it takes time, planning, dedication, passion, motivation, perseverance and research of new techniques and a sense of project scope. Making a video game takes a lot of planning(have a paper and pencil handy to keep track of things going on) especially making a menu system and a health system (it's a great idea to keep track of fixing the bugs in your program and prior knowledge of general programming(algorithmic problem solving techniques for anything that involves moving characters and animation) and GUI concepts is needed for any GUI component-based system.

One thing to bear in mind: Just start general programming! Don't give up and appreciate the programs you create! Just worry about yourself. Be yourself and do not compare your program to the retail games sold on shelf. There is a reason why these games can be made because it requires more than one person and a disciplined in many areas. I can assure the things you learn in general programming will help you a lot if you decide to learn graphics and GUI. Also treat programming as a tool and a problem solving idea. This is why I recommend you to start with general programming experience. Experiment with code. Try why this work and why this does not. Programming is also a puzzle. One way to learn programming is to relate the things in programming to your everyday life and you will find it so much easier to learn!

If you work with a video game without programming experience, you will not understand and focus on the big picture of programming and ultimately lose appreciation on the subject. A program(a video game being one example) is made up of algorithms and data structures. What I mean is to NOT memorize your way through learning programming because it is not the way programming works. You need to understand the ideas and concepts. Work with what you know and work your way up. If you do not understand how and why the code works, ask us.

Edit: The reason why video game is not an over-night thing is because there is a lot of questions to consider in making your game like pacman. How are you going to set up the screen for your game, put your image on screen, handle the animations for your image, test for collision between to objects, make pacman eat a pellet, setting up the pellets on the screen, let the game keep track of score, make the ghost move and haunt pacman down and map loading? There's probably something I am forgetting but hopefully you get a sense of what you need to have written down on paper before making even a game like pacman.

Yeah I understand why It's don't take overnight to make game that's why I said earlier I ready to spend a lot of time on that.
You speak a lot about programming but which book will you recommend for beginner to start programming from "Hello Word" to "Pro Codding" and "Understanding" ?
To the reail copy of programs and games why should I even care about that ? It's like I said before it will be home made game and for learning with Fun in the same time so I don't compare it to the Professionals Games.

Edit :

Unity 3D support C# , Javascript and Boo and mostly use javascrips for example movements or bullet systems , jumping etc so I think easiest way to start with programming will be Javascript but like I said before I need some books in that direction to learn basics.

Yeah I understand why It's don't take overnight to make game that's why I said earlier I ready to spend a lot of time on that.
You speak a lot about programming but which book will you recommend for beginner to start programming from "Hello Word" to "Pro Codding" and "Understanding" ?
To the reail copy of programs and games why should I even care about that ? It's like I said before it will be home made game and for learning with Fun in the same time so I don't compare it to the Professionals Games.

Edit :

Unity 3D support C# , Javascript and Boo and mostly use javascrips for example movements or bullet systems , jumping etc so I think easiest way to start with programming will be Javascript but like I said before I need some books in that direction to learn basics.

You can learn from books. But it is the Information Age. You can easily look up whatever you are stuck on the Internet. Just start typing code and you will understand it much better!

I will give you a bit more direction on what every beginner starts out with and need to know on day 1. The rest you need to google search on your own because there are a bit of resources you need to take advantage that we cannot just spoon feed you answers. Because of we did, you will not learn the process of solving a problem or you will not learn how to search for answers that has been resolved for many years. You need to struggle with it to understand it.

If you are programming, you need 3 things to start out: You need an IDE(for example: Eclipse) and a programming language(for example: Java) and the Internet. You need to know what a main method is. A main method is the first computer instruction that your program looks for.

In Java it looks like this:

public static void main(String[] args)

{

System.out.println("Hello world!");

}

In C++, it is slightly different a bit more syntax but the above basically prints hello world in your console.

The rest is up to you to figure out. I hope this is a good start to point you in the right direction. Again, just start coding. You learn a whole a lot better than just plain reading.

Ok thanks to those who helped me but I got last dumb question , Can someone tell straight away which books should I buy for C++/Javascript to learn from beginning ?

Thanks

Ok thanks to those who helped me but I got last dumb question , Can someone tell straight away which books should I buy for C++/Javascript to learn from beginning ?

Thanks

Just in case this is heading that way, Java and JavaScript have nothing in common; you probably mean Java here.

You have to understand building a game is very complex process and you have to have understanding of alot of theories before you just dive into this sort of thing. I like this example of what you are trying to do: Its like trying to write a book without knowing how to spell. So if you want to use this example of writing a book before being able to even read. Ill write it as if this was a guide to a preschool student wanting to write a book.

1) Learn to say a few words such as "Mum"
2) Learn to say a few sentences "I want food", "Im hungry"
3) Learn your ABC
4) Learn a few spellings such as "Cat" and "Dog"
5) Learn to write a few sentences. "The cat sat on the mat."
6) Learn more complex sentences and structures. "There once was a princess, her name was Anna"
7) Create your very first book. It will be very short and not very good
8) Back to learning complex theories for many years
9) Now your at a point to write any book etc.

Ok now that thats done lets translate that back to making a 3d game without knowing how to program.

1) Choose a language
2) Write your very first "Hello World!" program
3) Write a very basic program that has methods! Example a program that once you give it $10 for an item that is $5.45 it tells you how many of each coin you need back in change.
4) Learn how programming concepts such as polymorpism, classes, etc.
5) Write a very simple ASCII game. Example a game where there is a grid of 0's and 1's. A P represents you, M represents a monster, F represents the finish line. You must get to the finish line while the monsters just choose a random number and move in that directions.
6) On to learn about data structures and algorithsm! Learn things such as vectors, binary trees, link lists, FSM etc etc.
7) Ok now we can start with a 2d game! Make mario/pacman or something very basic and similar.
8) Back to learning more structures and some game specific algorithms and demo projects practising your 3d. Example make a world where you can fire a cannon into objects. (In 3d)
9) You can write your FPS or any type of game you feel like.

Please bear in mind this is what you must do if you want to make a good game or what to have a career in this industry. If you want a terrible game and just want to skip half of the lessons then you wont understand and wont be able to do alot of things. If you want that skip points 5,6,7,8.

Hi ,

I want to create a good FPS game in 3D in home environment and I wondering how I should start with it ? I don't have any experience either in Programming , Modelling textures or animations. I was thinking about Unity 3D because I think I should start with it , is it good idea ? I don't want start with for example programs like FPS Creator because that type of programs are just like "LEGO Programs" because you must just Put everything in right place and compile and usually with that type of programs there are many models and textures are included. So guys any idea how unexperienced Being should start making a game ?

Thanks

Any reply is appreciated

MikeTheBigBoos

Well if you wish to create a FPS game you first of all have to get into the Basics. This can be completed if you work with already existing engines to create games. One of many as you pointed out is Unity 3D but, there is also UDK and the Blender Engine. Just don't forget if you don't have Programming or Modelling skills, it will become very hard to create a decent game with does two engines. My advice before even starting to create a game is to have a decent knowledge of a programming language. For example : Java, Python, C#, C++, Html5. You can pick anything from does really just before choosing please look into them and get some basic knowledge in to which way you wish to programm. If you wanna get more into the basic games like minecraft or similiars choose java or c++ if your into web browser games, choose Html5 or even C#. If this all seems hard to you, just watch some programming tutorials, or how to make games on youtube. There are surely many tutorials to help newcommers into the gamedesigning world. Just a little warning, you may get stressed at your first programms. Don't beworried, this is normal since it means your making progress in learning and do not forget making a game isn't so easy if you wanna start programming games. Even i, who is at a Programming School in Switzerland, have not yet finished my game. And trust me i am trying to finish this but it is hard to finish if you want something decent.

I hope i could help you and wish you a nice Day

Your Truly

Your friendly Programmer :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement