Know c/c++ and Java (+basics in opengl) Where do I dev my gamedev skills?

Started by
6 comments, last by Nicholas Kong 11 years ago

Hey Guys!

Im an 23 year old developer, educated from an University in Norway. Where we learned C/c++, java and small basics in Opengl. We have learned the languages as they are, without much 3d programming. But where do I go from here? I want to test just how I can use this knowledge, with some 2d/3d language to test how the prosess to make an game really is. So where do I go?, Learn me the 2d/3d language, or? Do you guys have any things which would me?rolleyes.gif

-Akvisvik

Advertisement
Just pick a game you think would be fun to try to make, and go make it :-)

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

hehe, sounds easy enough, sure Im gonna hit some obsticles at my way but :P

You've just find it.

Its called gamedev.net

ApochPiQ is right. There is no clear way to make "games"

Just pick what you are interested in and do it :)

You do not neccesarily need to read any stuff

Best thing to do is learn from yourself

Actually school can give you some basics but it shows you only the direction. I did finish University but all I know about dev is based on my own experience (but I've started dev much sooner than University).

Hey thanx for feedback smile.png . So in your gamedev. career what engine are you using? is it unity which is the most wanted atm? Im sure this are devolpers pref. but what are your pref?

Well I am making my own engines (one universal and several project specifc)

But I think that Unity is the best choice to start with.

You should be able to do a lot of work without need to write a lot of code. Yes Unity is really powerful tool

Oh and you shold also look at UDK ;)

yeah ok

You can start with game programming with Java or C++. It's a nice project to test yourself as a programmer and problem solver.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement