• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Broken Rendertarget? Appears to be black?

This topic is 1741 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Hey,

I'm having a problem where my rendertargets are not working when ran on an NVIDIA gpu. Basically what happens is I store the native drawing surface as a backbuffersurface. switch to a newly created texture/rendertarget surface, clear it to literally any color, and draw a model to it. When I save the surface as a texture it shows up black.

Creating the texture:
 

HR(D3DXCreateTexture(gd3dDevice,800,600,0,D3DUSAGE_RENDERTARGET,D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16,D3DPOOL_DEFAULT,&mRenderBuffer));
HR(mRenderBuffer->GetSurfaceLevel(0,&mRenderBufferSurface));

 

 

The HR function is from one of Frank Luna's books, and is as follows:

 

#if defined(DEBUG) | defined(_DEBUG)
	#ifndef HR
	#define HR(x)                                      \
	{                                                  \
		HRESULT hr = x;                                \
		if(FAILED(hr))                                 \
		{                                              \
			DXTrace(__FILE__, __LINE__, hr, #x, TRUE); \
		}                                              \
	}
	#endif

#else
	#ifndef HR
	#define HR(x) x;
	#endif
#endif 

 

Now here I am using it:

 

	HR(gd3dDevice->GetRenderTarget(0, &mBackBufferSurface));

	//Draw the scene:
	gd3dDevice->SetRenderTarget(0, mRenderBufferSurface);
	gd3dDevice->Clear(0, 0, D3DCLEAR_TARGET | D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER, 0xFFFF0000, 1.0f, 0);
	gd3dDevice->BeginScene();

	gd3dDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE, FALSE );

	m_Sun->Render(gd3dDevice, mView, mProj);

	gd3dDevice->EndScene();

	HR(D3DXSaveTextureToFile("scene.tga", D3DXIFF_TGA, mRenderBuffer, NULL));

	//Continue rendering more objects to other targets... Present later

 

The result is black from saving the texture to a file, and the same with saving the surface to a file as well. But, when I save the mBackBufferSurface to a file, that works fine. This is why I believe there is a problem with my rendertargets.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Tom

Edited by TheOrangeDay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

I am not sure that you can save D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16 as TGA, if and what conversions are done by D3DXSaveTextureToFile function in such case.

Also (not sure) D3DXSaveTextureToFile reads from texture to be able to save it, but from i can see in your code you have its surface still bound at time you call D3DXSaveTextureToFile so it might be an issue there. Try to switch to other RT and then save.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The targa files work. don't worry about that.

 

I fixed the problem. It appears that in Frank Luna's source code (I am also using his class for setting up the window), he set the back buffer width and height to 0 in the CreateDevice parameters. I adjusted them so they reflected my window size, and everything was fixed.

 

Thanks everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement