A nudge in the right direction.

Started by
7 comments, last by OneTek 10 years, 12 months ago

I've been keenly interesting in computers and gaming from a very early age, and now that I'm older I see potential in myself to perhaps make a game of my own. Main reason for doing so is that most games already out there don't fill a certain neich I'm looking for.

That aside, I'm wondering if using Python along side Blender would set me up with the right tools to create a 3D game. Keep in mind this is NOT what I intend to do straight away. My intentions are to get my feet wet with what ever language I chose to learn, and slowly move my way to making a clone of some relatively basic 2D game.

After that I'm not real sure of as of yet, but that's not the point.

So would I be making a smart move going for Python over other languages such as C++, Java or anything else similiar?

Advertisement

Definately, yes. After learning Python, languages like C++ will be more easy to you. Go learn python, make some console games, then learn pygame and start making 2D games. Good Luck!

Deltron Zero and Automator.

We'll thank you for the reply. But what about when I want to move onto 3D games. Are there many modeling programs that will work well with python?

can python do 3D?

i wasnt aware that it could.

You'd have to move onto C# (Monogame / XNA or C++) really to get 3D i think. Work with rendering engines such as ORgre3D or an existing Game engine such as Crytek or Havok.

Python is by far able to handle 3D, it's been used in part in many different 3D games that I own, and frankly, they are quite good.

EDIT: Yeah, just read somewhere else that it can handle it, but it's just slow when it gets to pixel shaders and such.

can python do 3D?

Options for 3d with Python include Panda3d, PyOpenGL, and PyOgre -- 3d is definitely an option for Python programmers. Python alone can sometimes be too slow for performance sensitive applications such as complex 3d games, which you can solve by dropping to a lower-level language for the most critical tasks -- fortunately, engines like Panda3d have already done a lot of this work for you, and you can often get quite writing only Python.

Are there many modeling programs that will work well with python?

Slightly wrong question. smile.png What you want is an engine or library -- such as the ones I listed above -- that you can use with Python, and then a modelling program that can export a format that your engine or library is able to import and work with. Blender can export a number of different formats and will almost certainly be suitable.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

So in the future I have the ambition to make an open world survival style game.

However, you said that you can solve the performance issue for complex 3D games by dropping to a lower level language. What exactly do you mean by that? What languages would be appropriate?

Have you looked at CTypes and Cython?

Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

So in the future I have the ambition to make an open world survival style game.

However, you said that you can solve the performance issue for complex 3D games by dropping to a lower level language. What exactly do you mean by that? What languages would be appropriate?

I like the looks of Cython. Thanks for that link too.

However after I wrote that last post I thought that whilst I want to try and maintain my one man team thoughout this extended project, I doubt I'll have the time nor the skill to create a complex 3D environment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement