Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Arseniy Shved

Unity
Behavioral research for programmers. Please, take a poll.

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

I am conducting a research for an article that will be published on my Gamasutra.com blog.

If you are not a programmer please, ignore this topic!

Here is the question.

Imagine that an awesome opportunity to get a job in a game development company presented itself. The salary is high, the projects are interesting, the work conditions are good, and overall it is better and you want it.

All you need to do is to show the sample of your best code.

You are presented with 2 options:

• Private option: send the sample of your best work by email so that ONLY THEY could see it.
  • Public option: showcase your work on their public forum, where EVERYONE could see it.

Please choose the statement which correlates with your thoughts better. Take a minute to think about the statements. All of them have upsides and downsides.

1. I am comfortable with both private and public options. I have no problem showing my work anywhere.
  2. I am comfortable with private option, but not with the public one. I have no problems with sending my work by email to my potential employer.
  3. I am comfortable with public option, but not with the private one. I have no problems with showcasing my work on public forums.
  4. I am uncomfortable with both options. However I have no problems with showcasing my other, slightly less impressive works.
  5. I am uncomfortable with both options. There is no way in hell I shall share any of my work with potential employer neither privately nor in public.

I will update this thread (or post) when the article goes live and provide you with a link, so stay tuned.

If you have any comments, thoughts or criticism, please leave a reply.

PS
I have posted this poll in several subforums in order to ensure that the people taking it did not mix up (for example coders with artists). I hope the fact that this poll does not technically lie within the scope of this subforum will not be an issue, for it seemed like the most appropriate place. Thank you.

Posting the same topic across several forums is usually treated as spamming. My first reaction was almost to just flag this account as a spam bot without reading the post!
So far it's across 5 programming forums only...
I'm on the crappy iPhone interface, but another mod will probably have to clean this up...

I'm on the crappy iPhone interface, but another mod will probably have to clean this up...

Done.

I am posting it on several subforums because I am curious how programmers, artists, writers and game designers differ in regard of sharing their work.
I decided to place a poll in each subforum, to reach for a broader audience.

I am sorry for the inconvenience.
If I would post the poll only in one programming subforum, and in game design, writing, art and music subforum, will it be considered a violation?

Also I am sorry for any inconvenience. In no way did I wish to do harm. I apologize.

Edited by Arseniy1987

All threads are visible on the recent-threads list which is where the spamming impression comes from. Multiple posts also create multiple separate discussions. You'll get multiple, but interactive, discussions if you keep it to a single thread, and that may improve the feedback you get.

If you want to, I, or any mod for the matter, can move this thread to another forum if you feel it's more suitable than the Game Programming forum. This one is quite general though and has a fair amount of activity so I'll leave it in here for the moment, unless you would like it moved somewhere else.

p.s. I'm not ignoring your PMs, I'm just replying to them here instead.

OK, In this case I suggest you leave this topic here and destroy the remaining ones. I will steadily, with several-days interval add up new polls and make sure they are called in a way only a group of people I'm interested in, will take it.
Thank you for your assistance and underastanding.

Edited by Arseniy1987

a lot would have to do with the reputation of the company.

generally speaking though, one does not just hand over intellectual property rights without a stack of signed NDA's, and an army of lawyers to back it up. unless one is in the business of giving away their best code.

and if one is in the business of giving away one's best code, one is not in business for long.

this of course assume one's best code has value to both parties.

if the code is of no value, sure  give it away.

but if its of no value to the "interviewer", then it will  be useless as a means of evaluating the candidate's skills, and also as technology that can be stolen.

if its something like a meeting where you show them your code, but they don't get a copy, that might be acceptable - with NDAs and lawyers to back it up.  

any request like that coming from a company with a rep for heavy handed tactics such as MS or SIerra (now owned by EA?) would be a signal to proceed with caution.

generally speaking, when it comes to disclosing intellectual property of value (like a game engine, or the parts and techniques that make yours better), a paraphrase of Warren Zevon is not far off: "bring lawyers, guns, and money".

depends on the definition of "best code", if i built a great sample demo, i'd probably be willing to distribute it, as that's why i built it.  If my best code is from a game i've built for commercial purposes, then i woudn't probably hand it over.

Most likely i'd either pass a pre-created demo designed directly for handing out code to potential employees, or i'll write a unique sample for them, I however won't distribute my code which is used in production.

It depends on what is meant by the "best" code. If a company is evaluating a candidate for a team, then the "best" code in this case can do next to nothing and still be the best: clarity, readability, structure, consistency would be the main evaluation points. Another case of the "best" code would be something that has the best value. However if a company is looking for this particular type of code, then they are not actually interested in the code, they are interested if you are awesome.

Thing is, my best code which does something productive looks the same as my code which does something boring. I would send the code for the boring case and a executable binary of the productive case. With a note: this is how my code looks like, and this is what I can do.

THEY ARE NOT GOING TO COMPILE IT ANYWAYS.

Edited by Nercury

Pretty easy one for me.
My second job is acting on Japanese TV and movies so being in a public spotlight is nothing.  That goes for my code as well, snippets of which I already often post in public.

L. Spiro

I believe my best code is in open source projects, so it is already public.

However I would find it odd that a company would even advertise the option of a public submission. Public applications fit some things, like a band looking for a new drummer or vocalist wants the applicants to post YouTube videos of them playing, but a programmer in the company would be eventually working under NDA's anyway, so it would in a manner be unbalanced and unfair to require the applicants to show their code in public. Offering both public and private options creates the impression (at least to me) that the private applications would be considered of less value, even if that wasn't the intention.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By kyuubi
      Hello everyone,
      We are looking for some talented artists to join our team in developing a new classic style adventure game.
      Open Positions
      Our team is currently looking for two artists, one 3D model artist and one 2D concept artist.
      2D Concept Artist
      Help us translate the concepts into visuals to improve our 3D model workflow
      3D Artist
      Help with creating 3D environments, buildings, props, dressing etc.
      3D Animator
      Someone that can bring our models to life and make them feel less static.
      What we are looking for
      We have a fun and talented team working on an ambitious project, but we need help in creating 3D assets. We need people with experience, comfortable with defining streamlined workflows and producing work in a quick pace.
      We also need someone to help bring our ideas to life in 2d concepts first to better improve our workflow in creating the 3D scenes.
      Although it is a hobbyist project, we take the project seriously and we are committed to finish the project, so we need people that can commit to the project with the goal to end it.
      The ideal candidate
      Is used to work for milestones and timelines Used to working in a collaborative approach within a team environment Has time available to be present on a regular basis, appear on slack and provide updates Can output work on a fast pace That understands what it means to work in a project The skills
      For 3D Modeler
      Skilled in creative 3D environments, including props and scene dressing Ideally that has worked with Unity before Bonus points if you have talent for character creation Bonus points if you have actually worked on a title until the end. Experience with Unity (double bonus) For 2D Concept Artist
      Experience with concept art Bonus point if you have created concepts for a game Bonus points if you have actually worked on a title until the end. Experience with Unity (double bonus) For 3D Animator
      Experience animating humanoids and animals Experience animating inanimate objects Experience animating environments (vegetation, ocean etc) Bonus point if you have created concepts for a game Bonus points if you have actually worked on a title until the end. Experience with Unity (double bonus) The Background
      The game takes place in a world almost submerged by water, where all the land that is left are small islands, where the remains of the human race try to survive after the cataclysm known as the Seven Tides.
      You play the story of Jon Riley, a young boy living in the Island of Chelonii, in the Eastern Kingdom of Khalandrie. After a visit from an old mysterious acquaintance, his grandfather, the only relative Jon has mysteriously disappears and Jon embarks on a quest to find what happened to him, while discovering the truth about himself, and the underlying mystery of the Island.
      For a full description of the game check out The Game page. (user: seventides pass: indie)
      The Mechanics
      The game will be mainly feed from the traditional mechanics of adventure games popular in the 90’s with games like The Broken Sword, Monkey Island, The Longest Journey, Full Throttle, The Dig etc.
      It also introduces some RPG elements that promote exploration in order to immerse the player deeper in the world. The main driver of the gameplay experience is going to be the story as it's traditional in this genre of games.
      The Art Style
      Currently the adopted art style is a flat shaded, low poly style. You can see some examples below and the full gallery here (user: seventides pass: indie). Please not all of the screens are work in progress as we are working in iterations to move faster.

The Music
      We are lucky to have an amazing musician and talented producer in the team that is composing amazing musical scores for the game. If you want to hear some music samples get in touch!
      The Tools
      The game is being developed in Unity 5 in 3D low poly flat shade style. We are currently using the following main tools:
      Unity 5 - Game engine Dialog System - Dialog System for non linear interactive dialog databases Adventure Creator - State machine for the traditional adventure game workflows FMOD - Sound Engine Blender - 3D Modelling Sculptris - 3D Char sculpting Slack - Communication Trello - Task Management Our Trello Board!

The Team
      We are a team mostly composed by professionals in our areas but new in applying our skills in game development.
      Game Designer/Project Lead - Background in Computer Science and working professionally as the technical director of a leading web development agency in Sydney. Duarte brings maturity in project management methodologies and technical leading. An obsessive adventure game player and very seasoned technologist, Duarte is the founder of the project. Lead Developer - A very experienced developer, Joao is the main man behind the implementation in the Unity engine. He will translate the specs and game design workflows into the engine. He is a professional web developer currently working in Vienna, Austria. Music Producer/Sound Design - A professional musician and music producer, Richard is a guru in enhancing the experience with sound and musical scores. He works professionally as a musician and music teacher and lives in London. 3D Artist/ Character Design - An aspiring musician and hobbyist game designer and 3D artist, Kevin is mainly responsible for character art. He currently lives in Puerto Rico. 3D Artist/ Environment Design - A hobbyist 3D artist, Joshua is mainly responsible for environment art, buildings, landscapes and props. He lives in London. If you are interested
      If you want to join the team, get in touch and I will supply the full game design document, our wiki containing character references, sound design cues etc and provide access to our Slack team chat.
      If you are interested contact me through private message.
      Looking forward to hear from you!
    • By Edoardo396
      Hi guys, I'm trying to make a crossword puzzle game for practice.
      Sorry but I've no idea on where to start.
      It should be basic game where the user must enter the word in the correct place and nothing else. (I am sure you know how to play crosswords!)
      I have to export it to Android and (if possible) to iOS.

What engine would I want use?
      I thought to use Unity in order to develop it but I'm not very good with it (and, honestly, I don't like it that much)
      How is Unreal Engine 4 with Basic 2D Games like this one? If I could use UE4 it would be better because I know more C++ than C#. 
      I also thought about making this app with a "basic" IDE such as Android Studio (and) xCode but I would have to do the work twice and I want to avoid that if possible.
      Does anyone know if there is a library or something useful for making crossword games?
      Thank you very much for the answers and have a nice day!
      I apologize for the bad English but I'm not American/English.
      Edoardo

• By INTwindwolf
      DESCRIPTION
      The team is in need of an assistant Art Team Director that will assist the Project Lead and Art Director in the development of the game. The position does require you to have knowledge of the Unity Game Engine, 3D asset creation software, and a desire for project management.
      The INT team is a large, international team, focused on the development of a core demo which will showcase RPG elements and core features for fundraising and investors. We are a friendly and passionate bunch and hope you will apply soon to be part of our team. Please review the job requirements and responsibilities below.

Starboard Games LLC is looking for a highly professional, qualified, indie team developer to join our ambitious INT project.

As the INT Assistant Art Team Director you will report directly to the Project Lead and Art Lead. In the occurrence of an emergency you would become the acting Art Lead. The position does require a knowledge of the Unity game engine. This is because we would like our Assistant Art Team Director to have a knowledge of the game engine, and the ability to create scenes to showcase assets.
      Furthermore, you would need to be able to create assets for the core demo in a 3D modeling suite. Many of our artists use blender, but if you have a commercial license for another program then that would be acceptable as well. You will also need to possess team management abilities. This means you will be reviewing 3D artist work, 3D artist samples and test submissions, 2D concepts, and possess an understanding of the ‘big picture’ for INT which will be shared with you by our store, lore, and Project Directors.
      Responsibilities:
      1. Report to Art and Project Lead.
      2. Act as Acting Art Lead in the event of an emergency.
      3. Ability to think creatively.
      4. Ability to communicate effectively and work with other team leads.
      5. Desire to see the project through to completion.
      REQUIREMENTS
      1. Knowledge of the Unity Game Engine.
      2. Experience using Unity.
      3. Experience using 3D asset creation suites.
      4. Experience managing a team or being part of a team environment.
      5. Must be able to take feedback constructively.
      6. Must be able to interpret and decipher maps and notes.
      7. Must be able to work from 2D art.
      8. Commitment to the Project and the ability to spend large chunks of time working towards the completion of the project.
      BENEFITS
      We offer revenue-sharing generated from crowd-funding to team members who maintain consistent communication on company projects and meet Starboard Games deadlines. Currently we are unable to offer wages or per-item payments. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.
      Thank you for your time! We look forward to hearing from you!
      TO APPLY
      Please send your CV/Resume, as well as (the link to) your portfolio to: JohnHR@int-game.net.
      Kindest regards,
      John Shen
      HR Lead
      Starboard Games LLC
    • By INTwindwolf
      DESCRIPTION

Starboard Games LLC is looking for a highly professional, qualified, indie team developer to join our ambitious INT project.
      INT is an upcoming Science Fiction RPG that has been in continual development for several years. The team is in need of a Level Editor and Designer to join the team to work on the development of the game. This position does not require you to be a programmer or 3D artist.
      The INT team is a large, international team, focused on the development of a core demo which will showcase RPG elements and core features for fundraising and investors. We are a friendly and passionate bunch and hope you will apply soon to be part of our team. Please review the job requirements and responsibilities below.
      As the INT Level Editor and Designer you will be the individual on the team who received art assets and builds the level to Game Dev requirements. This position will require a knowledge of the Unity Game Engine, but not programming or art asset creation knowledge.
      Our levels have been mapped out and annotated with setup notes. While these setup notes and blueprints should be followed, as our Designer you can feel free to be creative in the setup process. When you place assets and design exterior and interior spaces you can be creative in how you build these spaces out.
      Responsibilities:
      1. Report to team Leads.
      2. Report to weekly Dev Meeting.
      3. Ability to think creatively and design portions of the level when required.
      REQUIREMENTS
      1. Knowledge of the Unity Game Engine
      2. Experience using Unity and importing/setting up levels in Unity 
      3. Experience optimizing levels in Unity 
      4. Ability to work under Team Leads
      5. Must be able to take feedback constructively 
      6. Must be able to interpret and decipher maps and notes to set up the level
      BENEFITS
      We offer revenue-sharing generated from crowd-funding to team members who maintain consistent communication on company projects and meet Starboard Games deadlines. Currently we are unable to offer wages or per-item payments. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.
      Thank you for your time! We look forward to hearing from you!
      TO APPLY
      Please send your CV/Resume, as well as (the link to) your portfolio to: JohnHR@int-game.net.
      Kindest regards,
      John Shen
      HR Lead
      Starboard Games LLC
    • By xenohexx
      Hi, I'm an Unity programmer and I'm looking for an artist/group to make something togheter (2D), I was thinking of a Point and Click Adventure, a FMV game, an Adventure/RPG in a streaming 2D world or a Myst Like (panorama) game but I'm may be open to other suggestions although arcade/plataform games are not my thing, in general I love games in which the story plays an important part
      You can see some things I've done here:
      http://zenger.co.nf
      If you are interested please send me a mail (the mail is at the webpage)
      Thank you very much