Find a Mix between Dark Ages and Future Technology.

Started by
3 comments, last by TechnoGoth 10 years, 12 months ago

I'm working on a game with a concept that one of my designers is having a hard time wrapping their head around. I'm sure were not the first with this, so I'm hoping people might be able to tell about games that are already like this.

The game is set a millenia in the future. All the earth is dominated by one corporation. To ensure control, no one else has been allowed to have much in the way of technology. Everyone else is forced to live in the dark ages/medieval times. Stone/log houses/buildings. no guns. Spears/Arrows are fine.

Everyone is aware of the more advanced technology, but the training and education it takes to build it are kept under tight lock and key.

Can anyone think of a game or movie where there is something similar.

Avatar is about the closest I can think of. The blue people understand the technology of the humans, that they can fly, blow stuff up, shoot, etc... But they don't understand how to make it.

Also similar is the hunger games. How one civilization rules over the other with an iron fist. No one else can have technology, but they certainly understand it is there and what it does in general.

Moltar - "Do you even know how to use that?"

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

Dan - "Best Description of AI ever."

Advertisement

Cloud Atlas - primitives vs Prescients

Ekt

Stargate - SG-1 and movie. The Goa'uld (alien serpent things) enslave worlds and suppress the population with their advanced technology (which is "stolen", in some sense).

There's an episode of Dexter's Laboratory called Ego Trip where there's a future with an overlord (grown-up Mandark) who has forbidden all technology, including fire, to everyone but himself.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Dune?

Trigun has most people living in wild west type setting with only a few remnants and people with access to futuristic tech.

I'm trying to thick of others but they escape me at the moment. I'm sure its pretty common in post apocalyptic fiction where society has regressed and there are only a few pockets of advanced tech left.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement