Do you ever get burnt out from coding?

Started by
26 comments, last by Dynamo_Maestro 10 years, 11 months ago

After finishing the 800+ pages tome known as data structures for game programmers, I felt like I needed a break. Whew. Im taking the next two weeks off before delving into allegro. My mind just feels exhausted and tired. Anyone else ever gone through this? Need a break to refresh the mind before moving ahead?

Advertisement

Always. I am a hobby programmer and I usually program for only a few months in a row, then a few months of no coding comes.

I would have burnt out from life if I had read a 800 page technical book.....

Did you do any fun programming while reading the book? Or just went through it and did the examples?

I did a few fun programs like an inventory system using linked list, but mainly examples. I was interested about learning data structures. but man those concepts were very draining on me lol. Maybe cause its my first time

Yep, all the time. I usually stop programming altogether and have a break when I'm like that because I know otherwise I will write bad code if I force myself.

I did a ton when i first started programming but overtime the " programming stamina" increases especially as you grow in knowledge and experience. i even know some senior programmers who burned out but that's usually more like project fatigue . it's a lot when you are just absorbing and applying theory but once you adapt a more 'logical "brain and you start to think that way it gets a bt easier in my experience!

At the end of a project I usually get burnt out on that project. From the time when I start a project to the time when I end it I usually get so many ideas for my next game that I can't wait to finish.

Yup! Been working on this self-started project for a month now working on it 60 hours a week and every day non stop, got burned out on Saturday and stopped coding for 2 days. I'm good now. For how long, I dunno. It varies so there's no way I can predict how long I can go without stopping.

People tell me that my game looks like it was made in a day. No, that thing took some work and the implementation was trickier than it sounds.

Shogun.

Always. I am a hobby programmer and I usually program for only a few months in a row, then a few months of no coding comes.

Same here. I've actually just started my "no coding" phase :)

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Same here. I've actually just started my "no coding" phase smile.png

I'm in the middle of the no coding phase, and I was in the middle of Lego Technic building phase. I just broke my hand so probably the building Lego with hand and feet phase begins, or the alcoholism phase.

I'm just afraid of forgetting what I have learned. I don't want to lose all this hard work

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement