• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EarthBanana

OIT with weighted average

2 posts in this topic

I have decided to switch my engine to OIT for a couple reasons - mainly because of my map styles. I just don't really like sorting geometry much - and the results are never pixel perfect.. anyways after looking at depth peeling, dual depth peeling, a-buffer, weighted average, and weighted sum techniques I decided on weighted average.

I'm a bit confused on the logistics of implementing it - in the white paper (Bavoil and Myers 2008) it states

"The average RGBA color for each pixel is generated by rendering the transparent geometry
into an accumulation buffer implemented as a 16-bit floating-point texture. The result is an

accumulated RGBA color and the number of fragments per pixel (depth complexity) "

So - I'm already using a deferred shading engine - generating another texture is not a big deal - what I don't quite understand is how to write the average RGBA color and number of fragments per pixel to a 16 bit floating point texture.

Here's where I'm a bit confused:

This may be silly - but from my understanding.. for each fragment I would add the current RGBA color to the 16 bit texture  -

My first question is how do I do this? Do I just set glBlendEquation to GL_FUNC_ADD and glBlendFunc(GL_ONE, GL_ONE)?

My second question is how do I save the depth complexity to the 16 bit texture also? The only way I can think to do it is making another texture and adding 1 to every texel that I pass over in the fragment shader (with the blend mode set as above)

Any insight to how to do this would be appreciated - thanks

Hi,

Your suggestion is already the solution. So, yeah, you got it right. I'll summarize the steps briefly for you:

Your transparent rendering would happen in the rendering loop after the deferred pass:

1. Fill your deferred buffer (color, depth, …)
  2. Do the deferred lighting
  3. Render the transparent objects

For the last step, do the following:

1. Disable depth writing (glDepthMask) -> we want no transparent object to be culled by other transparent objects
  2. Enable depth test (glDepthTest) -> compare with your deferred depth buffer (cull by opaque geometry)
  3. Use additive blending (source: GL_ONE, dest: GL_ONE)
  4. Bind two new render targets; let’s call them AccumColors (four (half) float components) and AccumCount (single float component)
  5. Render the transparent objects into those two targets (explained in a moment)
  6. Bind deferred color buffer as render target
  7. Disable depth test (glDepthTest)
  8. Use back-to-front blending (source: GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA, dest: GL_SRC_ALPHA)
  9. Bind AccumColor and AccumCount as textures
  10. Full screen pass: compute the average color/transparency (explained in a moment) and blend with the deferred color buffer

The idea is to compute the average of the colors, weighted by their transparencies. For blending with the background, we additionally need the average opacity. (FYI: I assume that alpha = 1 means opaque, and alpha = 0 means transparent)

Step 5 computes the sums. This is what the fragment shader does:

Input: vec3 color, float alpha
Output: 
  AccumColor = vec4(color*alpha, alpha);  // color multiplied (=weighted) with alpha!
  AccumCount = 1;

Step 10 compute the average color. Again, the fragment shader:

Input: vec4 AccumColor, float AccumCount

if (AccumCount < 0.00001 || AccumColor.w < 0.00001)
{
  discard;  // nothing here; discard the fragment.
}
else
{
  vec4 avgColor = vec4(
  AccumColor.xyz / AccumColor.w,    // weighted average color
  AccumColor.w / AccumCount);        // average alpha
  // the alpha, used to blend with the background is computed by assuming 
  // that all transparent layers have the average alpha:
  float dstAlpha = 1-pow(max(0,1-avgColor.w), AccumCount);
  // write out the average color and the alpha, used for compositing
  result = vec4 (avgColor.xyz, dstAlpha);
}

Hope that gives some insights. smile.png

Best regards!

Edited by Tsus

Wow - that is literally exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to write that out - this should be fairly simple to implement. I will post a picture when I get it working.. should be tomorrow.

Thanks again! Great explanation