Unity 3D vs UDK

Started by
5 comments, last by Nercury 11 years ago
Hi,

I'm looking towards to creating a RPG Game. I need to know the Pros and Cons of both engines (Programming, Cost, Marketing games etc).

Thanks
Advertisement

I guess with a search on Google you would have found thousands of websites where to look. Anyway, check this link: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/115460-Unity-or-UDK

Hope that helps.

Since both of the engines have a free option, try to use both of them and see which one fits your needs. That should answer your programming pros & cons.

Marketing depends on your skills and not the engine that you use.

UDK is much more complex and harder to develop games with. If you have such questions, I'd suggest you to use Unity.

What are the target platforms ?

With UDK you get Windows, and iOS (No Android or Mac) , if you want additional platforms you need to get Unreal Engine instead (which is far more expensive).

With Unity You get Windows, Mac and Linux. Android and iOS cost an additional $400 each (for the basic version, $1500 each for pro), for other platforms (consoles for example) you need to negotiate a separate license (Just like with Unreal Engine these can be very expensive).

UDK costs $99 + 25% of any UDK related revenue above $50k (its free for non commercial use)

Unity3D is free for both non commercial and commercial use if your turnover the previous year was <$100.000 , for commercial use with a higher than $100k annual turnover you need to buy pro licenses ($1500 / seat (+$1500 per seat for each additional platform))

The pro version of Unity3D allows you to extend the engine using native plugins, the commercial version of UDK does not (If you need to interact with a native component you have to launch it as a separate process and communicate with it via TCP/IP), Edit: nvm, it does. see nightcreatures post.

The free version of Unity3D is lacking some renderer features (and render to texture is disabled so it is virtually impossible to implement them yourself). The free version of UDK has the same features as the commercial version.

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

The pro version of Unity3D allows you to extend the engine using native plugins, the commercial version of UDK does not (If you need to interact with a native component you have to launch it as a separate process and communicate with it via TCP/IP)

There actually is a DLL load method in UDK that allows you to interact with native code, http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DLLBind.html

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

Unreal engine is made for First Person Shooter, meaning that it works best for what you would usually see in other Unreal games: a map, weapons, shooting, jumping, multiplayer, bots.

These are Pros if you need that for your game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement