Need advice for iOS game programming

Started by
10 comments, last by ivan.spasov 10 years, 11 months ago

Hi, my friend has been talking about how he want to start making a game for iOS, but he's no programmer, so i would have the responsability to do the programming, and him, the design and stuff like that. I programmed some games and tons of applications before, but only in windows, using visual studio. The thing is, i have no idea where to start... I don't have a mac to compile or test my stuffs, and i don't know what compiler to use, and what graphics library ect. Im very good in c++ and opengl, and i know c# and directx too, to a lesser extend.

So what should i do? I've heard xamanrin is good but it seem a bit pricy. Is there other alternative?

As i said im a complete noob for cellphone and portable computer game so i need some tips to point me in the right direction.

Thx.

Advertisement

Check out Unity 3D

You know c++ and OpenGL and have a Mac, so you're pretty much set. Just download Xcode and the latest iOS SDK which are both free. Then build one of the OpenGL samples and you can go from there. Just make sure that all the game and graphics code you add from there on out is in c++ and separated from the Objective-C code in the sample. That way you can pretty much ignore the ObjC stuff and work in what you know, which will be good platform-independent c++ code.

Edit: Oops, I misread the part about not having a Mac. In that case you could get a Mac or go with something like Unity.

I don't have a mac

You will also need iOS devices of all kinds that you are going to support. The simulator is very useful but it can't be used safely to do all the testing (because of real scenario performance tests in example), that's why you need real iOS devices.

You will also need iOS devices of all kinds that you are going to support. The simulator is very useful but it can't be used safely to do all the testing (because of real scenario performance tests in example), that's why you need real iOS devices.

Another thing to decide on is what devices and iOS versions to support. I'd suggest iOS 4.3 and higher for the OS, and iPhone 3GS and higher for the hardware. That means you can support OpenGLES 2.0 and not have to worry about the older fixed-function pipeline stuff. Those older devices and iOS versions are a tiny percentage of the install base and can be pretty much ignored unless you have a specific reason to target them.

iOS development on Windows is a tricky proposition. If the product you uses has a cloud compilation system ( such as Corona, Gideros (both Lua based) or say.. CocoonJS (HTML5) ) it may be possible to develop on Windows and deploy to AppStore or run on your device without requiring a Mac.

On the C++ side, there is the DragonFire SDK which allows you to build on Windows, but I've never used it.

At the end of the day though, you are going to want a Mac. There are other options like MacInCloud that allow you to rent a mac on demand, but when I reviewed it performance was shockingly bad. Since then though, I've received a few notifications that its gotten a bit better.

At the end of the day though, you are going to want a Mac.

I agree that the simplest thing is just to get a Mac Mini (what I use) or something and just go from there. You already know c++ and OGL, so developing straight on a Mac with Xcode is the shortest and least difficult way to go. I mean, unless your goal is specifically to develop on Windows with VS.

Another nice thing about simply doing the development on the Mac is that you can use the Simulator until you get devices to test on.

Check out Marmalade and cocos2d-x.

Both still require a Mac at the end of the day.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement