Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DrOmni

Need some advice on starting developing games

2 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I'm new in game developing and I really need some advice and help to get started. I've been programming in c++ and python for about six months and want to start making games myself to improve my programming skills. I just downloaded unity and some tutorials and everything seems to be going well but I have completely no previous experience of modeling and/or level design and stuff. So I thought about making some 2D games first but I couldn't find some graphics libraries to use (I actually tried OGRE 3D and some other 2D graphics libraries but just don't feel like using them).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

SFML or SDL are good jump off points for C++, gives you tools to create basic or advanced games and gets you to look up how to do things.

Python is pretty much pygame.

I assume by the fact you tagged it 'C++' you are interested in using C++.  If so, I recommend running through the tutorial in my sig.  It was written to introduce beginning C++ developers to more advanced concepts than simple commandline games, creating an over-engineered pong game with C++ and SFML.  If you would rather use SDL, check out LazyFoo's tutorial series.

If you are open to other languages than C++, see the pinned thread at the top of this forum.