What secondary major should I pick to complement my art major?

Started by
0 comments, last by Tom Sloper 10 years, 12 months ago
As of this writing, I am a college sophomore thinking of double majoring with art and a major that is practical. I really love to do digital artwork on photoshop and illustrator in my spare time next to video games but I would like to get a job after graduation. I have student loans to pay after wards you know.

I also want to make sure I am happy with my career as well as the second major. The last time I tried to major is something I thought that would get me good money and a great job (Multimedia Computing), I did not do so well in C++ and realized the plan backfired. I am taking art instead because its where my passions lie more in. However, I want to make sure this second major would not be the same case as the computer major (By the way, I talked about this in my past forum topics I started but its probably buried in the older posts by now)

Is there a practical major that can complement an art degree? Some of my ideas include:
-Taking business, one of the popular majors. (My most likely choice)

-Marketing- However, I asked about if its "practical" and marketable in this economy in a separate topic and opinions seemed to be mixed.

-Multimedia Computing? - Admittedly, I have not fully explored this major because I only took one class required for it (Intro to C++) and I had bad test grades. Today, I don't remember the coding basics anymore. Ironically, I am thinking of giving it a second chance, just to gain more skills to make video games. Besides, the major has game design classes in it. I will ask my college for more information but I will just throw this in anyway.

-If you can suggest an alternative practical major from the three above I will really appreciate it.

I think its worth noting that I live in New York City. It may not be LA but some people called it an "artistic" place. People say location matters so thought I should throw that in.

Anyway, what are your opinions on this?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement

1. Is there a practical major that can complement an art degree?

2. Some of my ideas include:
-Taking business, one of the popular majors. (My most likely choice)

3. -Marketing- However, I asked about if its "practical" and marketable in this economy in a separate topic and opinions seemed to be mixed.

4. -Multimedia Computing? - Admittedly, I have not fully explored this major

5. -If you can suggest an alternative practical major from the three above I will really appreciate it.

6. also want to make sure I am happy with my career as well as the second major.

1. Yes, why not?

2. Would you enjoy that? If so, go for it.

3. So what if you got mixed opinions? Who cares what people on a forum think? The only thing that's important is whether you would enjoy it. And of course marketing is practical. But that's what I said to you before.

4. Everybody in the future needs to know at least a little about computing. But if you're going to get poor grades, or not enjoy it, then don't go that way.

5. No. You choose.

6. I'm glad you said that. I agree you should be happy with your first major and your second major. If you're going to have two majors.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement