My programming style

Started by
42 comments, last by jpetrie 10 years, 11 months ago

Let's back up for a minute. What is this code for anyway? A game? A map renderer? Something else?

Personal note: did you use this same type of code when you made Pong?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement

It's a game of course. I do have map renderers.

I didn't pick up any of my mentioned habits until 2009.

I was a lot more verbose and didn't use Hungarian notation. I didn't pick up any of my other mentioned habits until 2012.

Didn't post to avoid being mean but seeing the turn of this thread, this code (the original post one) in an interview = immediate fail for me, you wouldn't last 1 minute. Even more so if you felt it was good or learn worthy, it's begginer level at best.

Didn't post to avoid being mean but seeing the turn of this thread, this code (the original post one) in an interview = immediate fail for me, you wouldn't last 1 minute. Even more so if you felt it was good or learn worthy, it's begginer level at best.

Just to be clear. There's nothing wrong with beginner level code. You just have to acknowledge that's beginner level code and accept that there are better ways to go about writing the code.

Well so far I'm the only one posting about *innovations*.
Maybe you all see my code as wrong because you were taught a certain way. I'm self-taught. I learned from books. Don't know what current industry standards are.
What makes your code so good?

Well so far I'm the only one posting about *innovations*.

Maybe you all see my code as wrong because you were taught a certain way. I'm self-taught. I learned from books. Don't know what current industry standards are.

Well those aren't "innovations". Everyone has seen that code hundreds of times in their careers. It's the reason everyone is able to tell you better ways of writing and approaching your code.

Also, a lot (but not all) of the people in this thread have a CS degree and have been in the industry for years. So it's not only about what they were taught. They have years of real world experience of solving complex problems.

And lastly, don't claim ignorance as the reason for obstinately challenging everyone who has posted here. It would be best for you to step back and seriously take what they are saying into consideration.

This is what I'm taking in September at BCIT Computer Systems 2 year diploma followed by 2-year Bachelor of Technology with Game Development option http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/cst http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/825hbtech Do you think that will be as good as a Bachelor of Computer Science degree from a university? Good enough?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement