• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KaoticSoulz

Which language to start with?

9 posts in this topic

First off, I'm going to say that I know that this has been asked before, but I just wanted to have the seven billionth topic out there.

Second off, I have no experience and have heard good things about Java and Python. I know most people say that C++ is the best, but I don't feel comfortable getting that in-depth into it, and have actually made the mistake of trying to learn it first, and it burned me out. I am making this post after trying several times to get into C++ and failed miserably.

So... Basically what would be a halfway decent beginner program, and please don't post unless you think you can give a reasonable resource to learn it by, preferably an online one.

Thanks a ton!

Just want to say thanks. I actually found that link soon after I posted this topic, David.M so thanks a ton for the help. (I know it didn't technically help me, but if I hadn't looked that would have pointed me in the same direction that I took... so yeah.) 

Also thanks, AllEightUp. I didn't much like Java either, more for the fact it seemed like it had even more complicated code than C++. I have decided to go for Python and need to go searching for resources. Thanks again, guys!

I know most people say that C++ is the best, but I don't feel comfortable getting that in-depth into it, and have actually made the mistake of trying to learn it first, and it burned me out. I am making this post after trying several times to get into C++ and failed miserably.

Can you tell us how you went about trying to learn C++ and why you failed?

Personally I started programming with C++ and didnt think it was especially hard.  I took a single semester course at university (Intro to C++) and then went out and got a book (C++ How To Program) and just worked through that.  Before starting C++ I'd only had some experience with Fortran, which is to say not much that was applicable.  =)

I'm not saying that C++ is right for you, it's not for everyone.  But, you obviously wanted to learn it at some point, and there must be a reason for that.  We can help you with better advice if we know why it didnt work out.

I first learned C++, i'd be lying if i said it was a cake walk, but it's not impossibe. I then learned Python and after months of using C++ i was amazed at how simple Python is in comparison. Sure it's not as powerful or as fast, but who the hell needs speed and power when you first start programming.

I first learned C++, i'd be lying if i said it was a cake walk, but it's not impossibe. I then learned Python and after months of using C++ i was amazed at how simple Python is in comparison. Sure it's not as powerful or as fast, but who the hell needs speed and power when you first start programming.

Just curious - why did you learn Python after C++?

Just curious - why did you learn Python after C++?

Partly i just wanted to try a different language, and partly so I could get straight to pogramming game logic without having to deal with lower level stuff. I read about Pygame and thought i'd give it a shot, its great for knocking out simple games quickly and trying ideas. The only thing is i much prefer C++, i've started using SFML which is in the same vein.

Going to be a troll here, I personally despise Java, go with Python if those are your only choices.  But, as David suggests, follow the link, read it and then decide for yourself what you want to use.  Really, ignore my comment, if you like Java, go for it.  My opinion is based on the other side of the field where I am a C++/C# person and I despise Java for lack of explicit control, which is something you don't need to worry about yet. smile.png

This man is right. Actually you don't have to use Java language to gain the benefits of Java platform. You may want to check these :

http://jruby.org/

http://groovy.codehaus.org/

http://www.scala-lang.org/

Well, for the on-topic answer, try Python. Find the tutorial here :

http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/

It's a good tutorial and easy to follow. Don't be afraid of the "hard way" title. It doesn't mean that the tutorial is hard. Actually it's pretty easy, even for people who are totally new to programming.

As David said, pick any language and actually start coding.