• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Big

Drawing 2D in 3D World (2.5D)

This topic is 1972 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Basically I've come across a few games that use this convention, and I'm curious on how its done and want to implement it.

Something similar to this;

This video seems to have accomplished it really well. There are a lot of pretty bad implementations of it too.

">

I just want to know where to start, what to look out for, any tips or advice.

Cheers

Advertisement
The term you're looking for is called billboards. It's basically a simple quad (two triangles) rendered like any other 3D-Mesh. Depending on what you want there are some differences, this page seems to cover a few variants.

That isn't all 2.5D though - only the characters look like billboards.  The rocks and the walls are all 3D objects, as seen by their changing shape when the view is rotated.

Yeah that's basically what i'm looking for. Just the characters/enemies are 2D yet all the surroundings 3D. That video illustrates what I'm trying to do exactly..

Now that I know the terminology for it, I'll take a look around at some resources. Thanks!

Edit: Wow. Looks tricky.. this should be fun...

Edited by Mr. Big

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!