• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
metsfan

SlimDX Math vs XNA Math

This topic is 2057 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all,

Since Microsoft announced the impending death of XNA, I've decided to switch one of my projects from XNA to SlimDX.  My first impression of the SlimDX library is that it does a very nice job of providing a simplified wrapper around DirectX, and it seems like a great alternative to XNA.  However, the Math library provided by SlimDX is missing a few key components.  The two that are the biggest hamstring on me right now are:

1) No BoundingFrustum class

2) No Viewport class, with Project/Unproject methods.

Now obviously I can code these myself, but then every new project I start I have to import these classes, or create some kind of package, where as the XNA math library already has this stuff built in.  Plus who knows what else I will come across that I wish I had with SlimDX that XNA provides.  Now, even though the XNA library is dead, and the rendering engine is somewhat antiquated, the Math library to me seems timeless.  Is it crazy to abandon XNA for all rendering, sound, networking, ect, but still use the math library?  I'm sure SlimDX will catch up eventually, but for right now, it seems like the right call.  Thoughts?

Edited by metsfan

Advertisement

How about this alternative, if you haven't switched yet:

SharpDX.BoundingFrustum
SharpDX.Viewport

Also look into SharpDX.Toolkit. It will remind you of XNA.

Hmm after looking through the docs it seems like SharpDX is far more complete than SlimDX.  I think I need to do some more research into which framework to choose before diving in.  Thanks.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!